Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Speaker upgrade in a 2022 car. Mid range, Doors and Subwoofer.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We did an installation tutorial for the GENERATION 2 speakers from Light Harmonic.
They say it's designed to work with OEM amp better than any other speakers on the market.

Obviously, there is no way we can test that, but one thing I can say: definitely an upgrade over the OEM speakers. If you have the money, got for it.

Our install here.

Attachments

• IMG_8939 Large.jpeg
    IMG_8939 Large.jpeg
    488.3 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_8942 Large.jpeg
    IMG_8942 Large.jpeg
    567.1 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_8950 Large.jpeg
    IMG_8950 Large.jpeg
    545.2 KB · Views: 157
My worry with upgrading the sound system is that the dsp and crossovers is adjusted for the oem speakers, also the sound signature of the new speakers might be different than the rest. So you have sound coherency issues between speakers. Like having a Sony speaker for the left channel and a Focal speaker for the right channel in your home system. The sound will have timbre and differences in dynamics. I think change all speakers to the same brand and model for better coherency in sound, or keep the oem. What I have seen is aftermarket only selling partial speaker replacements and no dsp and crossover adjustments for the new speakers.

What was the best performing speakers you have tested? I am torn between the Alpines and the Orellas. The Orella speaker set is the same price but comes with an upgraded amp.

None of those systems list their specs, especially Thiel parameters. However I'd venture that the Orella Acoustics system likely offers better bass primarily due to the extra power from the separate amp.

None of those systems list their specs, especially Thiel parameters. However I'd venture that the Orella Acoustics system likely offers better bass primarily due to the extra power from the separate amp.
Yeah I went with the Orellas, I just got finished with the 7 speaker setup today, still haven't installed the subwoofer. You can tell a difference, but imo not worth the price tag. Not sure if there is a break in period etc. They do look like good quality speakers though. The tweeter 3d printed adapters are complete crap.

• Informative
Reactions: BitJam
Yeah I went with the Orellas, I just got finished with the 7 speaker setup today, still haven't installed the subwoofer. You can tell a difference, but imo not worth the price tag. Not sure if there is a break in period etc. They do look like good quality speakers though. The tweeter 3d printed adapters are complete crap.
Ugh, that's disappointing to hear. For that kind of $$$, one would hope to hear a dramatic difference! Hopefully the subwoofer will help.

Just wanted to give an update on my previous statement about the Orellas. It's been a full three days now I've had them installed, still have not gotten to the subwoofer yet. I definitely notice a difference, the mids and highs are better for sure and that's pretty much all I can say right now. Don't expect a night and day difference, I'd say it's 20-25% better, but ROI is terrible. Maybe after a little break in period and when I have time to install the sub, I'm sure I'll feel better about it. I also plan on installing soundproofing when I have a spare week or so. As far as installation goes, anyone can do it. The MY is so damn modular, if I were to redo the whole install, I could probably knock it out in an hour and a half. And again, the Orella tweeter adapter is absolutely terrible, I used a bit of hot glue for a better fit.

I'm using Tidal offline files, so best quality music you can stream besides plugging in MP3s via SSD. I've never tried another brand so I really can't compare. Going to look into installing an amp just for the speakers if at all possible, I'm sure it would liven the setup, but I also don't want to add a failure point to the car.

Hope this helps.

Just wanted to give an update on my previous statement about the Orellas. It's been a full three days now I've had them installed, still have not gotten to the subwoofer yet. I definitely notice a difference, the mids and highs are better for sure and that's pretty much all I can say right now. Don't expect a night and day difference, I'd say it's 20-25% better, but ROI is terrible. Maybe after a little break in period and when I have time to install the sub, I'm sure I'll feel better about it. I also plan on installing soundproofing when I have a spare week or so. As far as installation goes, anyone can do it. The MY is so damn modular, if I were to redo the whole install, I could probably knock it out in an hour and a half. And again, the Orella tweeter adapter is absolutely terrible, I used a bit of hot glue for a better fit.

I'm using Tidal offline files, so best quality music you can stream besides plugging in MP3s via SSD. I've never tried another brand so I really can't compare. Going to look into installing an amp just for the speakers if at all possible, I'm sure it would liven the setup, but I also don't want to add a failure point to the car.

Hope this helps.
Have you added any sort of sound deadening to the doors like CLD tiles or Dynamat? That would probably help as well.

Have you added any sort of sound deadening to the doors like CLD tiles or Dynamat? That would probably help as well.
No but I am looking into that.

Another update on my previous statement, still have not installed the subwoofer but after a period of breaking in, the sound system definitely sounds much better. Especially at higher volumes, you don't lose any fidelity or clarity. I would love in the future to somehow upgrade the speaker amp and install some sound deadening, this will be my next project when I have time. As of right now I am pretty satisfied by the Orella Acoustics and happy with my purchase, is it worth $1500? Still leaning on meh, but yes it is definitely an upgrade.