Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Road Trip - Is it possible to customize charge duration during stops?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I have an upcoming long road trip and I'm running into some planning challenges.

Let's assume I'm starting at Point A (PA) and have scheduled overnight stops at (PB) and (PC) before reaching my final destination at (PD). How do I configure/inform the Tesla trip planner that the stops at (PB) and (PC) are going to be full charge stops?

The challenge I'm facing is that when I program the trip into the vehicle, only the segment of the trip from PA-PB contains appropriate stops and charging times. The segments from PB-PC and PC-PD are incorrect, because those segments have assuming a continuous trip PA-PD, without any full charge stops.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Paes, I see you are in Canada, so I'm uncertain the number of Superchargers available to you. Will depend on your route anyway (duh). I think you will find, speaking as someone who does a yearly Cape Cod~Tucson~Cape Cod road trip in a Tesla MY LR that once on the road you'll see the in-car computation as to your next best stop(s) will be pretty obvious.

In short order you'll find yourself modifying your travel charging stops "on the fly."

Rich

Reactions: Phrugal Phan
In addition to the already mentioned ABRP and ABRP App, you should consult https://plugshare.com or search Google maps for EV Chargers.
I’ve done a lot of long road trips, and I make it a practice to look for overnight chargers at hotels that offer it for free. I don’t mind if I have to use my J1772 adapter, not limiting it to only Tesla wall chargers.
If I find a hotel that offers charging, I also like to have it be in a town that offers supercharging as a back up. It’s easier, and sometimes free, to charge overnight a hotel just like you charge at home. But, many times they could be ICEd or another EV would be charging, so I have Superchargers as my back up plan. One thing to remember if you use the Superchargers, Always make sure you charge on arrival, up to 90%, because the battery is already warm. If you wait until the car is cold soaked in the morning, it will charge much slower.
Once I’ve established my route, I always adjust on the fly using the onboard navigation to adjust charging locations depending on where I wanna stop for meals, etc. Always make sure you navigate to your next charging station so the battery will precondition.