Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Love the Technology & Stock - Hate the MY manufacturing quality!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Believe it or not I ordered and cancelled two (2) MY's losing the $200 ordering fees. Although I love the technology of the MY I just couldn't bare the thought of dealing with the numerous fit & finish issues & software/firmware glitches of a $60K+ car. I could have bought the MY w/ the gains made in the Tesla stock I own. I decided on buying a Porsche Macan Turbo that I had ordered last November. It finally showed up a few weeks ago due to delays due to Porsche factory shutdowns and the shipboard delays all caused by Covid-19. The Macan Turbo was absolutely flawless and although I paid considerably more for it then the MY it was the right decision for me.

I hope Tesla can get its manufacturing and quality processes right while it still has a hold on the EV marketplace.

Good luck and happy motoring to all you MY owners.

It's paint, trim and final assembly at issue. The majority of the individual non assembled parts either built by Tesla or a sub-contracted are solid and very well QC'd. Enjoy your Porsche Macan Turbo and all that owning that kind of vehicle entails.

It's paint, trim and final assembly at issue. The majority of the individual non assembled parts either built by Tesla or a sub-contracted are solid and very well QC'd. Enjoy your Porsche Macan Turbo and all that owning that kind of vehicle entails.

How do you know that!? It is just not visible to us, so we hope these parts and assembly are ok. I found 5 bolts without nuts (near the wheels). Anyway, let us hope for the best :)

My son’s MY arrived with the Octovalve not assembled correctly. I would have thought the QC department would have checked the battery coolant system at the very least. I withdrew my MY order and decided to wait until I started hearing that they were arriving with automotive assembly quality equal to autos half its price. Meanwhile he has had his fourth trip to the Tesla SC to repair paint, octovalve/coolant, rear seat alignment and a rattle that sounds like a nut that didn’t get applied or removed from the body or the battery pack.

Why didn’t you just delay the delivery rather than cancel? I delayed mine to January and will make the decision then rather to move forward or lose the $100.
I had already delayed delivery a few times hoping to see quality, fit & finish improve. Sadly it did not; hence, my decision to cancel my order and move on to a marque known for it's exceptional quality. I know it not an EV which I was looking forward to owning but I just couldn't see myself dealing with the Tesla MY issues. As I said in my previous comments I own Tesla stock so my order fee(s) forfeitures were clearly overshadowed by the recent gains in Tesla stock. Thank you Tesla for making me money. I hope you get your act together and build an EV that would make me sorry for my decision.

I had already delayed delivery a few times hoping to see quality, fit & finish improve. Sadly it did not; hence, my decision to cancel my order and move on to a marque known for it's exceptional quality. I know it not an EV which I was looking forward to owning but I just couldn't see myself dealing with the Tesla MY issues. As I said in my previous comments I own Tesla stock so my order fee(s) forfeitures were clearly overshadowed by the recent gains in Tesla stock. Thank you Tesla for making me money. I hope you get your act together and build an EV that would make me sorry for my decision.

Just curious, did you take delivery of any MY and inspected them and rejected them? Or just went to the dealership one day and looked at one?

Curious what made you come to this conclusion (I had already delayed delivery a few times hoping to see quality, fit & finish improve. Sadly it did not)

Sooner or later this situation is going to come back and bite Tesla hard. There really is no competition now. Different story in a year to 18 months time. They need to figure this out even if it means a short ceasing of production to retool and retrain. I feel like this is a case of gross mismanagement. I really am afraid to accept my order even if there are no glaring delivery issues, which by all accounts is a rare situation.