Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla build quality and a tale of caution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A first-time Tesla and a first-time EV purchaser here. Hopefully unlike many others, I had a very rocky start with Tesla. And I thought I could use some of your advice.

Right after last year's big September discounts for Tesla Model S/X, I finally had the courage to jump ship to EVs with Tesla, which I perceived as the benchmark for EVs.

About a month after paying the deposit for a 2023 Model X Long Range in Ultra Red color, I was scheduled for delivery end of October at Tesla Colma delivery center.

Unfortunately, the first VIN had a major paint defect, a chunk of paint missing on the lift gate with the shiny bare aluminum underneath showing with all its glory.

This is the type of paint defect that is simply impossible to miss if there was any resemblance of QC in the factory or pre-delivery inspection at the delivery center.

Although the delivery team suggested repainting the lift gate, I did what most would do and rejected the car on the spot.

Because of my inexperience with Tesla's ordering process, I had already made the payment and sold my car at this point.

I thought getting a loaner would be a breeze as I wait for the second VIN since technically I had already paid for the car.

But to my surprise, the request for the loaner was rejected and I was left without a car until the second VIN.

After a month, I got a call to take delivery of the second VIN early December at Tesla Colma delivery center.

Unfortunately, the second VIN also had paint defects, a rock chip, dust nibs, and other imperfections on the hood.

There was intense pressure to accept delivery this time around and I was told that I cannot reject the second VIN.

Ultimately, I accepted delivery after Tesla Colma delivery team promised a factory painted hood replacement.

They also claimed they ran this by Tesla Van Ness service center and that this would be taken care of as promised.

After some struggle, Tesla Van Ness service center agreed to hood replacement and I dropped off the car in January.

Unfortunately, things got even worse after this.

Two weeks later, they called me to pick up the car after polishing the hood and calling that it's within "Tesla spec".

After I told them I will not be accepting the car in this condition, they said they will not replace the hood, but send the car to a body shop for repainting instead.

As the body shop, they specifically mentioned European Collusion Center and told me not to worry as "this is a quality shop that paints Porches and Ferraris".

Regardless, since I had only accepted delivery on the promise of a factory painted hood replacement, I tried reaching out to Tesla Colma delivery team to no avail.

Despite previously communicating European Collusion Center, Tesla Van Ness service center then sent the car to Karry's Collusion Center without my approval.

AFAIU, Karry's Collusion Center is not a Tesla certified body shop and it is a very small shop without the proper facilities. And the quality of their work shows that.

After a botched repainting by Karry's Collusion Center and multiple attempts to save the situation afterwards, the car ended up in a much worse state than before.
  • Damage down to basecoat on the edges of the hood, requiring the basecoat to be reapplied.
  • Left and right fenders now have to be blended in because of the reapplication of the basecoat.
  • Oversprays on the driver's side left roof rail and the lift gate, which potentially requires a repaint.
  • Excess and uneven topcoat on the front of the hood in an attempt to fix a chip that they caused.
  • Scuff mark on the driver's side fender, which they caused (among others) and missed to "polish" it.
  • Excessive swirl marks all over the car (including the newly repainted hood) due to improper detailing.
Additionally, there were more paint inclusions on the lift gate, requiring a repaint.

Understandably, I was very disappointed after seeing the car in this condition and I have requested a repurchase, which has been denied.

Then they asked me to retrieve the car from the service within 24 hours after my request was denied despite these unresolved paint issues.

This concluded my first ever Tesla service after 5 visits to the service center and 33 days in total in the service.

On the "positive" side, they later reached out to me and offered sending the car to European Collusion Center as originally intended for the remaining issues.

Additionally, they are offering to pay one of my monthly loan payments for the time the car has been in service. Though I'm not sure if I can take their word for it.

At this point, I'm not sure if I have the patience to go through another month long service visit.

Even then, it's unclear how good of a job European Collusion Center will do. But I guess it can't be worse than Karry's Collusion Center.

So, I'm looking forward to your advice in case you have been a in a similar position with Tesla.

Attachments

• PXL_20240211_230522721.jpg
    PXL_20240211_230522721.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20240211_230554499.jpg
    PXL_20240211_230554499.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20240211_230756863.jpg
    PXL_20240211_230756863.jpg
    544.5 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20240211_230923337.jpg
    PXL_20240211_230923337.jpg
    631.8 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20240211_231041143.jpg
    PXL_20240211_231041143.jpg
    637.7 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20240224_212756446.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240224_212756446.MP.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20240224_212946008.jpg
    PXL_20240224_212946008.jpg
    789.5 KB · Views: 13
Uh, I would've avoided a repaint at all cost. Although US relies on Carfax mostly. Some experienced inspector uses paint meter to measure body work paint thickness to determine if it has been repaired (Accident alarm). Not to mention the risk of terrible work making it worse. The second VIN doesn't sound that bad. I probably would accept it and buff it myself. Honestly, I probably would put more rock chips on it after a few months and would care less after a while. It really is personal. I know some would expect perfection for such a high priced new vehicle. I would just reject it again if it is really unacceptable and probably be done with Tesla and look for alternative.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrnoodles
Uh, I would've avoided a repaint at all cost. Although US relies on Carfax mostly. Some experienced inspector uses paint meter to measure body work paint thickness to determine if it has been repaired (Accident alarm). Not to mention the risk of terrible work making it worse. The second VIN doesn't sound that bad. I probably would accept it and buff it myself. Honestly, I probably would put more rock chips on it after a few months and would care less after a while. It really is personal. I know some would expect perfection for such a high priced new vehicle. I would just reject it again if it is really unacceptable and probably be done with Tesla and look for alternative.

Sorry if I was not very clear. I had rejected the first VIN and took delivery of the second VIN, which had already been repainted unfortunately.

I also wanted to avoid a repaint at all cost. That's why I negotiated a factory painted hood replacement as a condition of accepting delivery.

But before I can reach out to anyone with authority (I had been told the wait time for European Collision Center would have been two weeks), Tesla Van Ness service center got the car repainted in a different body shop in a matter of days without my approval. In fact, I only know this because I happened to check the location of the car on the Tesla app. Only then they acknowledged that the car has already been repainted.

So, at this point, I have a car that's already been repainted very poorly and the photos attached reflects the current state of the car.

I would have been a lot happier if the car had never been repainted given the current state of the car with damage down to basecoat.

Sorry if I was not very clear. I had rejected the first VIN and took delivery of the second VIN, which had already been repainted unfortunately.

I also wanted to avoid a repaint at all cost. That's why I negotiated a factory painted hood replacement as a condition of accepting delivery.

But before I can reach out to anyone with authority (I had been told the wait time for European Collision Center would have been two weeks), Tesla Van Ness service center got the car repainted in a different body shop in a matter of days without my approval. In fact, I only know this because I happened to check the location of the car on the Tesla app. Only then they acknowledged that the car has already been repainted.

So, at this point, I have a car that's already been repainted very poorly and the photos attached reflects the current state of the car.

I would have been a lot happier if the car had never been repainted given the current state of the car with damage down to basecoat.
I know the photos are of the repainted car. I am saying I probably would've accepted the 2nd VIN and call it a day. I would never try to repaint a car body work unless it was damaged in an accident. Too many variables. The repaint may be worse. There may be color mismatch between panels. The reinstall may produce extra panel gap.

I also understand your view when you are buying a $80K brand new car you expect perfection. At this point, you can only hope the new body shop is solid. You should reach out to the new body shop personally. Tell them that you expect perfection. Have them put their best auto paint technician on the job. Tell them you will be bringing a flash light and go over every square inch of the surface. People have different standards, the work you posted may be acceptable to someone else. Or you could go a little more lenient, and maybe let 1 or 2 imperfection slide. I don't think you want to repaint it a 3rd time.

I know the photos are of the repainted car. I am saying I probably would've accepted the 2nd VIN and call it a day. I would never try to repaint a car body work unless it was damaged in an accident. Too many variables. The repaint may be worse. There may be color mismatch between panels. The reinstall may produce extra panel gap.

I also understand your view when you are buying a $80K brand new car you expect perfection. At this point, you can only hope the new body shop is solid. You should reach out to the new body shop personally. Tell them that you expect perfection. Have them put their best auto paint technician on the job. Tell them you will be bringing a flash light and go over every square inch of the surface. People have different standards, the work you posted may be acceptable to someone else. Or you could go a little more lenient, and maybe let 1 or 2 imperfection slide. I don't think you want to repaint it a 3rd time.

Thank you. All valid points. I wish the repainting was never done. But as you also put it, it looks like I'll have to ride this through and hopefully manage situation a bit closer this time around. Thanks again for all the advice.

I think I’d try to trade in the car to Tesla for a new one and see how much they offer
Regardless of the offer they make, I'll have to pay the sales tax again unless I'm mistaken. In California, different than some other states, you pay the sales tax on the MSPR of the car, not the difference after subtracting the trade-in value. So that would sting a lot finically.

Regardless of the offer they make, I'll have to pay the sales tax again unless I'm mistaken. In California, different than some other states, you pay the sales tax on the MSPR of the car, not the difference after subtracting the trade-in value. So that would sting a lot finically.
You are correct…every time I get a great deal on a new car I look at the sales tax I have to pay (10.25% in my county) and see my great deal blown up…we literally live in the “tax me more” state.

UPDATE

Unfortunately European Collision Center confirmed the worst case scenario. In addition to the hood (and the fenders), the driver's side left roof rail and the entire lift gate would also have to be repainted. The hood was already beyond saving after the unauthorized repaint by Karry's Collision Center. And other panels also require repainting as the oversprays have apparently cured already. Not only that, since this would be third painting of the hood (including the original factory paint), the advisor over at European Collision Center flat out told me that the final result will likely not meet my expectations.

Regarding the compensation (in the form of monthly auto-loan payment) for the month that the car had stayed in service, I got a written confirmation (email) from the Tesla Van Ness service center. I'm assuming they would also offer compensation for the duration of this second service visit, which would take at least another month, if not more. Even then, this is not even close to the drop in car's value as a result of such an extensive paint work.

So I'm thinking of asking for a repurchase again. I don't know what else I can do. I feel that this would benefit both parties, financially and otherwise.

It's so bizarre that Tesla is willing to spend the same, if not more, on all these fixes and the extra compensation when they can simply replace the car.

Considering that I was misled by the Tesla Colma delivery team about the factory painted hood replacement and it was an unauthorized repaint that caused most of these issues, you would think that Tesla would at least try to do the right thing and make me whole. But perhaps I'm simply not talking to the right people.

For those who were able to get their cars replaced successfully for paint defects and other warranty issues, did you do this through the service team or some other channels?

Seek out a lemon law attorney. They are “free”, as the manufacturer pays the attorney fees. It seems like you would qualify based on the number of days you had it in service (the law varies from state to state).

You could also request a buyback from the service center, though I wouldn’t recommend it as they tend to lowball. I initially received a low offer from the service center, declined, and ended up getting 3K more via the attorney route.