Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering the Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking of doing it too. That does seem to be the only advertised option and pricing seems fine (you may need adjustable arms, too, and this is probably recommend). Installers can probably recommend other products that will work well, too.

Overall, I think it helps the look of the car and perhaps the ride. Will be interesting to see if it helps range, which I think it should. Let me know if you pull the trigger and I'll do the same.

I'm thinking of doing it too. That does seem to be the only advertised option and pricing seems fine (you may need adjustable arms, too, and this is probably recommend). Installers can probably recommend other products that will work well, too.

Overall, I think it helps the look of the car and perhaps the ride. Will be interesting to see if it helps range, which I think it should. Let me know if you pull the trigger and I'll do the same.
Absolutely.

I'm waiting for other offerings like Elbach, H&R, or TSportline to give us choices..

Once I take delivery of MY I will remove stock springs and take them to Swift springs to have them measure stock spring rates and see what they can recommend for me. Im looking for slightly more drop than Unplugged 1.5” , more like 2-2.5” drop is what im looking for without sacrificing too much on ride comfort. I will keep you guys updated if and when I get the car :(

Once I take delivery of MY I will remove stock springs and take them to Swift springs to have them measure stock spring rates and see what they can recommend for me. Im looking for slightly more drop than Unplugged 1.5” , more like 2-2.5” drop is what im looking for without sacrificing too much on ride comfort. I will keep you guys updated if and when I get the car :(
Wow, that's an aggressive drop. I'm aiming no more than half reduction to what it is currently so I can still maintain clearance..

Reactions: jb401
Here is what I wrote in another thread:

I installed them on a Performance Y recently. Unfortunately, the results are not what we expected. We were hoping the car would have a slightly lower appearance and a slightly sporty feel (taking exit ramps faster, etc). We didn't expect a smoother ride because we were hoping for a sportier ride.

We took one of our two Performance Y's to the shop UPP recommended that was about an hour away. The installation price was more than double what UPP said to expect when I asked UPP how much it would cost to install before I ordered the springs (they said about $300, it cost $791...the other place I called said $1100). So in total, I paid about $1200.

When we picked up the car, we couldn't see any difference in the height. We thought when we parked it next to our other Performance Y we would. Unfortunately, we didn't. I can put 3 fingers in between the front driver's side wheel well with a tiny, tiny bit of wiggle room on the non-lowered Y, I put 3 fingers somewhat tightly on the lowered Y.

Next driving, neither my wife nor I could notice any difference what so ever in the sportiness of the car. With that being said, we aren't track people, just sports car people who hoped to make the Performance Y a tiny bit sportier, as far as handling goes. We also haven't noticed the ride being any smoother over bumps/pot holes (not that we expected it to). If you track your Y, you may notice a tiny difference, but we don't.

With all this being said, UPP has checked in several times and seems genuinely interested in our feedback and trying to resolve our concerns. I'm going to work with them to do whatever we can to hopefully improve the situation for us and future buyers. I know UPP has a great reputation and I fully expect good things in the future. I hope to come back to this thread in the future to say what an awesome job they did making a bad situation a good one.

I installed them on a Performance Y recently. Unfortunately, the results are not what we expected. We were hoping the car would have a slightly lower appearance and a slightly sporty feel (taking exit ramps faster, etc). We didn't expect a smoother ride because we were hoping for a sportier ride.

We took one of our two Performance Y's to the shop UPP recommended that was about an hour away. The installation price was more than double what UPP said to expect when I asked UPP how much it would cost to install before I ordered the springs (they said about $300, it cost $791...the other place I called said $1100). So in total, I paid about $1200.

When we picked up the car, we couldn't see any difference in the height. We thought when we parked it next to our other Performance Y we would. Unfortunately, we didn't. I can put 3 fingers in between the front driver's side wheel well with a tiny, tiny bit of wiggle room on the non-lowered Y, I put 3 fingers somewhat tightly on the lowered Y.

Next driving, neither my wife nor I could notice any difference what so ever in the sportiness of the car. With that being said, we aren't track people, just sports car people who hoped to make the Performance Y a tiny bit sportier, as far as handling goes. We also haven't noticed the ride being any smoother over bumps/pot holes (not that we expected it to). If you track your Y, you may notice a tiny difference, but we don't.

With all this being said, UPP has checked in several times and seems genuinely interested in our feedback and trying to resolve our concerns. I'm going to work with them to do whatever we can to hopefully improve the situation for us and future buyers. I know UPP has a great reputation and I fully expect good things in the future. I hope to come back to this thread in the future to say what an awesome job they did making a bad situation a good one.
Thanks for the insight. Possible it needs time to break it and settle? 1.5 in drop is roughly what I'm looking for and on paper, UPP does just that..

BTW, any pictures of the lowering?

Last edited:

Really shocked by this. Very disappointing. Can I ask which version of the springs you purchased? Also, did you buy the rear camber arms from UPP? Would also love to see pics...

Really shocked by this. Very disappointing. Can I ask which version of the springs you purchased? Also, did you buy the rear camber arms from UPP? Would also love to see pics...
It’s funny in the other thread it was requested for more pics but none was given or no response yet but @preilly44 has only Transferred that info in here and 2 other members have shown their cars with Unplugged springs and there’s a difference. I think that shop ripped you off and didn’t install your springs at all. A person should be able to distinctively tell the difference after a drop.

It’s funny in the other thread it was requested for more pics but none was given or no response yet but @preilly44 has only Transferred that info in here and 2 other members have shown their cars with Unplugged springs and there’s a difference. I think that shop ripped you off and didn’t install your springs at all. A person should be able to distinctively tell the difference after a drop.

We are 110% committed to supporting our customers with our products, and have had a wonderful response from our Model Y suspension customers. In fact, we even have Model Y suspension dialing in amazing lap-times at our Tesla Corsa event today!

We have reached out for additional information as we will do with all our customers, and are ultimately here to support with any applicable diagnosis, or questions. Anyone with any of these types of questions, can reach out by e-mailing either [email protected] or info@unpluggedperformance - we’re happy to help!

- Unplugged Team

preilly44,

We are happy to see you’ve noticed our commitment to your experience. Our goal, isn’t just to make great products, but also to offer the full support to ensure you get the most out of them. We look forward to hearing from you and figuring this out soon. Thank You for your time!

- Unplugged Team