Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a call from my SA yesterday that there's a matching car in So Cal, with 200 miles on it (it's been a test drive car). They're offering it new, with a small discount. My SA noted that they are releasing more test drive cars in light of the current very high demand. They were told yesterday by Tesla that regular deliveries will not occur until December. I put a little bit of thought into how I feel about other people having sat in and driven the car, and I suppose that's not ideal but it hopefully means there won't be issues with the car that weren't already caught. So, I now have a VIN and a delivery date scheduled. Yippee!!
If they are delivering cars now to some people on the east coast, why don't they spread some around California? What are all the delivery people in California doing? Sitting there playing cards while they have no cars to deliver? Instead they release demo cars?

Got to admit, Tesla is one strange company.

If they are delivering cars now to some people on the east coast, why don't they spread some around California? What are all the delivery people in California doing? Sitting there playing cards while they have no cars to deliver? Instead they release demo cars?

Got to admit, Tesla is one strange company.

Same reason why they focus on international at the beginning of every quarter: quarterly reports. They want to book as many sales as possible. Thereafter, the focus is on east coast, midwest, etc. All based on distance from Fremont.

Believe me, I wish it was different. You too, I bet. ;)

Same reason why they focus on international at the beginning of every quarter: quarterly reports. They want to book as many sales as possible. Thereafter, the focus is on east coast, midwest, etc. All based on distance from Fremont.

Believe me, I wish it was different. You too, I bet. ;)
Yes, I hate the Bay area in December. The last thing I want to do is face the crowds. They're probably already close to booking more sales than they can deliver.

The strange things is that I believe I read of Elon Musk talking about seamless coordinated deliveries, and he is doing none of that. The Bay area is getting no Tesla's until the rest of the country (and likely the rest of California) has gotten them. So when you order is really a joke beyond a point.

So what are all the delivery people around here doing? Delivering demos? What a waste of time and efficiency. Instead of getting 50-100 cars a day toward the end of December, they can all be spaced out all over the quarter. I guess that requires a plan, which requires thought, and considers customers - not just Tesla.

East Bay commute does indeed suck (hard!), but you don't really have to use those freeways much on a Marin to Fremont trip. That, and timing, are very helpful.

Take 280 down the Peninsula, briefly take 85 to 237, and then cross the bay on 237 to the East Bay. Fremont isn't far at all once you hit the southern end of the East Bay. Use the same route to get out of there and back to Marin.

TIMING is key. You just want to be counter-commute as much as possible... which you can be on a trip like this, with some planning.

Another possibility: GG bus to Richmond, BART to Fremont Warm Springs, short Uber ride to factory. About two hours. But then, no need for two cars making the return.

I’m seriously considering doing this. I don’t mind a tough return, as I will be driving an awesome car with ACC!

Two other advantages: Removes the necessity of loading the car on a truck to SF. Plus, the SF SC will be swamped, possibly delaying delivery appointment and/or last minute cancellations. I don’t expect the same issues at Tesla’s HQ.

Added bonus: maybe getting car a few days earlier!

Reactions: FutureShock
Oh, I was considering an Uber ride to SF. To Fremont will be more. I've never taken public transit in the Bay area, so it's all greek to me.

If I take an Uber to Fremont, that would make it easier. Either way, I've got no one to drive me anywhere.

It's hard to talk about in the abstract - given that the wait will be longer than it needs to be.

The reality is that Tesla does not need to overload the SF showroom, they just can't seem to figure out that spaced deliveries will be a much less painful experience for everyone, Tesla included. I bet that they overloaded showrooms everywhere.

Lets see what happens when delivery dates are given. Then again, lets see what happens tonight at the Tesla earnings report.

Oh, I was considering an Uber ride to SF. To Fremont will be more. I've never taken public transit in the Bay area, so it's all greek to me.

If I take an Uber to Fremont, that would make it easier. Either way, I've got no one to drive me anywhere.

It's hard to talk about in the abstract - given that the wait will be longer than it needs to be.

The reality is that Tesla does not need to overload the SF showroom, they just can't seem to figure out that spaced deliveries will be a much less painful experience for everyone, Tesla included. I bet that they overloaded showrooms everywhere.

Lets see what happens when delivery dates are given. Then again, lets see what happens tonight at the Tesla earnings report.

Good points, and this is all grist for the mill while we while-away the 6-10 weeks.

Go to Google or Apple Maps and tap in your start/stop points. Instead of "by car", you would use "by public transit". It gives very clear and easy point by point instructions. I live in San Rafael, so when the bus leaves here it has a stop or two before reaching the BART station. Both GG bus and BART have free WiFi.

Good points, and this is all grist for the mill while we while-away the 6-10 weeks.

Go to Google or Apple Maps and tap in your start/stop points. Instead of "by car", you would use "by public transit". It gives very clear and easy point by point instructions. I live in San Rafael, so when the bus leaves here it has a stop or two before reaching the BART station. Both GG bus and BART have free WiFi.
Yes, 6-10 weeks!

I live in unincorporated Novato - so much further out. I’ve seen GG buses in town, though.

Ordered LR AWD PW/Sport/Black on 10/14, looks like I'm `#58356` - Was really hoping for a chance to pickup the car right before my birthday next week, but that seems highly unlikely now. Oh well

The amount of orders they are now receiving is absolutely nuts, and cutting the 2500 refundable to a 100 non-refundable is only going to make it crazier. Wish them the best of luck.

Ordered LR AWD PW/Sport/Black on 10/14, looks like I'm `#58356` - Was really hoping for a chance to pickup the car right before my birthday next week, but that seems highly unlikely now. Oh well

The amount of orders they are now receiving is absolutely nuts, and cutting the 2500 refundable to a 100 non-refundable is only going to make it crazier. Wish them the best of luck.
Well I ordered on 10/11 (Friday) with an order number of 52515. That comes to 1900 cars a day over the weekend! (Fri-Monday), 1400 of which were likely model 3's. When Tesla dropped the $2500 deposit - I bet orders increased substantially from there.

I can only imagine that after today's announcement, orders will increase further. Some people may be holding out for Model Y - I guess it is better for kid hauling, etc.

Yes, we all thought 2-3 week delivery back mid-October. Well, Happy Birthday anyway!

Is that number the last 5 digits of your reservation number? Are they all sequential?

Last edited:
I wonder if the $100 non-refundable deposit makes it more likely that people are going to order, then cancel when the car arrives, leaving more cars in inventory. We might get our orders early after all.

I think it’s way more likely some will cancel. $2500 is a big gamble, even if refundable. In addition, with tax credits expiring at year end, some put up the money just so they have the option. With the backlog growing, wait too long and the car becomes $1875 more expensive. I bet a large number won’t be ready when they get the email from Tesla to schedule delivery.

Hello everyone. Joining in as a 10/10 order #48542 LW AWD Performance MSM White Interior w/ FSD. Had "within two weeks" as estimated delivery pre-10/17 changes. My rims got upgraded to the grey performance wheels (not complaining) and was informed they'd honor the original agreement price. Still no reach out from a DS or a VIN assigned. I'll patiently wait expecting it to come in December. If it comes earlier then I'll be happy. Gives me more time to decide if I want to wrap my care with PPF or not. Lets all hope for the best :)

Reactions: FutureShock