Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I ordered my White AWD Model 3 on Oct 4th 2019 the sales person said delivery was expected in 2 weeks which it also said on the website and confirmation.

Normally I'm patient but gave my ex my car because his broke down so I don't have a car. Figured waiting two weeks for delivery would give me time to install an outlet and I'd manage without a car or rent one for a couple weeks . On Friday it was two weeks from the order date so I called the sales office. They said that delivery usually takes 2 weeks after they assign a VIN number and they don't get any information about when a VIN will be assigned. Then I read this article saying that deliveries in US may be delayed until December. Tesla pushes Model 3 delivery time in US as demand surges in other markets - Electrek

So I have no idea how to proceed...should I rent a car for a week, month or two? Or sadly give up on my dream to own a Tesla?

Sent my DA an email asking if there were any demo models I could purchase. She just called me apologizing for the delay and said she could only find one Model 3 in inventory somewhere out of state but it's not even close to the configuration I ordered. Sounds like it's been pretty rough for sales & delivery staff. They sold the local inventory in the last couple weeks of September and shipments for new orders aren't coming in like they usually do.

Elon recently talked about taking a page from Amazon's customer service saying “Amazon would go bankrupt if they would have to wait for customers to be ready to take delivery before shipping.” Sounds like he is sort of blaming the customer for delays. Look at the long list of hundreds of people like myself in the spreadsheet on TMC ready to take delivery of their Model 3's. We are ready Elon....

As a customer I don't expect Telsa to be perfect. But I do expect them to show they value my business and that customers are the priority. Would love to hear they are making bold decisions like shifting resources focused on a software release that makes the Model 3 fart to providing better customer service tools. Elon should take a page from Domino's who guarantees delivery in 30 minutes and has been providing order status since 2008 using it's pizza tracker. By the end of year you will even be able to track your pizza via GPS. It's not a secret that customers are used to Amazon, FedEx and even the US postal service making sure we know the status of our orders and delivery every step of the way even if the wait is in minutes not weeks.

I can't decide if I'm more frustrated by the delay or just irritated because Tesla doesn't hold it's self accountable for delivering on their commitments and we all have come to expect that their estimates and the goals they set are not real.

Hope Tesla starts to provide their sales staff with more transparent order fulfillment information so they can reach their delivery goals. If they keep the online ordering model, they need to let customers know if their car is being prepared, in the oven, in quality control or out for delivery if they want to improve the customer experience.

Will the world trust that Tesla can make a car that drives it self they aren't able to address basic customer service concerns and improve communication?

Attachments

• pizza tracker.jpg
    pizza tracker.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Pilot152
Tesla staff have been telling everyone all sorts of things. The truth is that they really don’t know anything.

Are you getting it delivered to SF SC? Come mid December, there will be a mad crush, extending the time when making the appointment. Then there’s the holidays.

I’m considering switching to Fremont plant. I hate having to schlep down there and having someone making that long trip back as well. Unless...

Do they still offer plant tours for those picking up at Fremont? Now THAT would be worth it!

Reactions: FutureShock
I'm real close to putting my order in. What's holding me up is a) I'm not in country most of December, so I'm not sure if I'm gonna miss my pickup date and b) not sure whether I should wait for a Stealth to pop up. I'm flexible on b, but a is gonna be tough to pull off. There's only 1 week in December that I'm available.

What happens if you miss your date? Any penalties?

Picking up at Fremont and driving back to Marin? No way. The East Bay freeways are a parking lot most of the time. And going all the way down to Fremont? I hope not. The SF service center is not too far from the GG Bridge.

We lived in the South Bay for a very long time and learned to avoid the East Bay at all costs if you wanted to get anywhere. When I worked in Palo Alto, it was common to commute from over the bridge an hour or two each way. This was in the 80's and I can't imagine how much worse it is right now.

Frankly if I had to choose other than SF, I would go to Sacramento. Driving is easier if you actually move! Luckily, since I don't really work, I will opt for an early afternoon time.

Well, when I see stock actually showing up, I will believe it. Tesla is going to have such a big crunch if even mid-December delivery that I don't want to think about it. December is going to be rough all over the country. This end of Q4 delivery will not be pretty unless Tesla has some really new ideas.

When I ordered my White AWD Model 3 on Oct 4th 2019 the sales person said delivery was expected in 2 weeks which it also said on the website and confirmation.

Normally I'm patient but gave my ex my car because his broke down so I don't have a car. Figured waiting two weeks for delivery would give me time to install an outlet and I'd manage without a car or rent one for a couple weeks . On Friday it was two weeks from the order date so I called the sales office. They said that delivery usually takes 2 weeks after they assign a VIN number and they don't get any information about when a VIN will be assigned. Then I read this article saying that deliveries in US may be delayed until December. Tesla pushes Model 3 delivery time in US as demand surges in other markets - Electrek

So I have no idea how to proceed...should I rent a car for a week, month or two? Or sadly give up on my dream to own a Tesla?

Sent my DA an email asking if there were any demo models I could purchase. She just called me apologizing for the delay and said she could only find one Model 3 in inventory somewhere out of state but it's not even close to the configuration I ordered. Sounds like it's been pretty rough for sales & delivery staff. They sold the local inventory in the last couple weeks of September and shipments for new orders aren't coming in like they usually do.

Elon recently talked about taking a page from Amazon's customer service saying “Amazon would go bankrupt if they would have to wait for customers to be ready to take delivery before shipping.” Sounds like he is sort of blaming the customer for delays. Look at the long list of hundreds of people like myself in the spreadsheet on TMC ready to take delivery of their Model 3's. We are ready Elon....

As a customer I don't expect Telsa to be perfect. But I do expect them to show they value my business and that customers are the priority. Would love to hear they are making bold decisions like shifting resources focused on a software release that makes the Model 3 fart to providing better customer service tools. Elon should take a page from Domino's who guarantees delivery in 30 minutes and has been providing order status since 2008 using it's pizza tracker. By the end of year you will even be able to track your pizza via GPS. It's not a secret that customers are used to Amazon, FedEx and even the US postal service making sure we know the status of our orders and delivery every step of the way even if the wait is in minutes not weeks.

I can't decide if I'm more frustrated by the delay or just irritated because Tesla doesn't hold it's self accountable for delivering on their commitments and we all have come to expect that their estimates and the goals they set are not real.

Hope Tesla starts to provide their sales staff with more transparent order fulfillment information so they can reach their delivery goals. If they keep the online ordering model, they need to let customers know if their car is being prepared, in the oven, in quality control or out for delivery if they want to improve the customer experience.

Will the world trust that Tesla can make a car that drives it self they aren't able to address basic customer service concerns and improve communication?
Sorry to hear your story! This is not easy. We get hooked and then have to wait, though we never expected to wait. Thinking 2-3 weeks and finding out 6-10 weeks is a big wait! And no, the people who waited years were expecting to wait years. We really believed Tesla.

Rent a car for a month or so. If what people are saying that new VIN numbers is true your wait will not be as long as you think. I sold my trade-in to make life easier. We're a one car family now, but that isn't like being a no car family. You do not want to have gone through all this to get a demo model which has been slobbered in by millions of people, etc. New is new.

I like the rest of your post as the "two-sides" to Elon Musk are odd. He did give Amazon as an example of a good business model, but Tesla seems to be breaking that model. We are ready. But Tesla is obviously not ready. It's reasonable for you to be frustrated by the delay and also the fact that Tesla is not delivering on it's commitments. I am, and I've bought quite a few cars in my life, waited for cars (mostly Porsches - where you sometimes wait), etc. But waiting and being strung along are two different things.

I highly suspect that Tesla did get hit with a lot of US orders - mainly because the cars were finally 2-3 weeks! Now that 2-3 weeks didn't come to fruition, what do we do? I placed my first order on 10-1, was not able to pick it up and had to forfeit that car. I placed my order again on 10-11. Between those two dates (10-1 and 10-11) the order numbers incremented by 22,000 cars - probably 80% were Model 3's and 80% of those were US and Canadian orders. So in 10 days, Tesla got at enough orders to keep it at full speed for 21 days. From my Oct 11th order number to a recent one posted - It looks like from the 11th Oct to the 22nd, Tesla got about 20,000 more orders.

What this says about you is that you are toward the beginning of the big rush (order date Oct 4th), and probably only have 20,000 cars ahead of you. That's about three weeks of production - roughly. If Tesla has resumed US production today, you should get your car by mid-November to Thanksgiving. (fortunately) I do not work at Tesla and cannot reliably predict. But Oct 4th puts you toward the beginning of the order pile. Probably 20% or the orders are never delivered, so you are that much closer to reality.

So, after all of my blabbing - do not give up your dream of a Tesla! A month or two (from order date) is a relatively short time. You will regret having given up on everything. Even better, if a lot of people feel like you - quite a few orders could be cancelled soon. People want Amazon-like immediate gratification and Tesla is not even coming close to it. You will get what you want, likely far earlier than I am guessing. The same things that are making you reconsider your order are likely to make the delivery of your Tesla sooner than expected.

Reactions: mnml
Sorry to hear your story! This is not easy. We get hooked and then have to wait, though we never expected to wait. Thinking 2-3 weeks and finding out 6-10 weeks is a big wait! And no, the people who waited years were expecting to wait years. We really believed Tesla.

Rent a car for a month or so. If what people are saying that new VIN numbers is true your wait will not be as long as you think. I sold my trade-in to make life easier. We're a one car family now, but that isn't like being a no car family. You do not want to have gone through all this to get a demo model which has been slobbered in by millions of people, etc. New is new.

I like the rest of your post as the "two-sides" to Elon Musk are odd. He did give Amazon as an example of a good business model, but Tesla seems to be breaking that model. We are ready. But Tesla is obviously not ready. It's reasonable for you to be frustrated by the delay and also the fact that Tesla is not delivering on it's commitments. I am, and I've bought quite a few cars in my life, waited for cars (mostly Porsches - where you sometimes wait), etc. But waiting and being strung along are two different things.

I highly suspect that Tesla did get hit with a lot of US orders - mainly because the cars were finally 2-3 weeks! Now that 2-3 weeks didn't come to fruition, what do we do? I placed my first order on 10-1, was not able to pick it up and had to forfeit that car. I placed my order again on 10-11. Between those two dates (10-1 and 10-11) the order numbers incremented by 22,000 cars - probably 80% were Model 3's and 80% of those were US and Canadian orders. So in 10 days, Tesla got at enough orders to keep it at full speed for 21 days. From my Oct 11th order number to a recent one posted - It looks like from the 11th Oct to the 22nd, Tesla got about 20,000 more orders.

What this says about you is that you are toward the beginning of the big rush (order date Oct 4th), and probably only have 20,000 cars ahead of you. That's about three weeks of production - roughly. If Tesla has resumed US production today, you should get your car by mid-November to Thanksgiving. (fortunately) I do not work at Tesla and cannot reliably predict. But Oct 4th puts you toward the beginning of the order pile. Probably 20% or the orders are never delivered, so you are that much closer to reality.

So, after all of my blabbing - do not give up your dream of a Tesla! A month or two (from order date) is a relatively short time. You will regret having given up on everything. Even better, if a lot of people feel like you - quite a few orders could be cancelled soon. People want Amazon-like immediate gratification and Tesla is not even coming close to it. You will get what you want, likely far earlier than I am guessing. The same things that are making you reconsider your order are likely to make the delivery of your Tesla sooner than expected.

Thanks for the helpful information jonquiljo! Glad to know I'm towards the beginning of the rush. Did notice on another thread that illinois typically takes about 26 days on average which is higher than many states. Going to bite the bullet and rent a car today.

I'm curious why 20% of orders are never delivered. Are people cancelling and why?

This all seems a bit like childbirth seem to forget the pain they endured to get the car since when you read satisfaction information it focuses on how high of scores Tesla's receive.

Good luck to everyone .

Picking up at Fremont and driving back to Marin? No way. The East Bay freeways are a parking lot most of the time. And going all the way down to Fremont? I hope not. The SF service center is not too far from the GG Bridge.

We lived in the South Bay for a very long time and learned to avoid the East Bay at all costs if you wanted to get anywhere. When I worked in Palo Alto, it was common to commute from over the bridge an hour or two each way. This was in the 80's and I can't imagine how much worse it is right now.

East Bay commute does indeed suck (hard!), but you don't really have to use those freeways much on a Marin to Fremont trip. That, and timing, are very helpful.

Take 280 down the Peninsula, briefly take 85 to 237, and then cross the bay on 237 to the East Bay. Fremont isn't far at all once you hit the southern end of the East Bay. Use the same route to get out of there and back to Marin.

TIMING is key. You just want to be counter-commute as much as possible... which you can be on a trip like this, with some planning.

I got a call from my SA yesterday that there's a matching car in So Cal, with 200 miles on it (it's been a test drive car). They're offering it new, with a small discount. My SA noted that they are releasing more test drive cars in light of the current very high demand. They were told yesterday by Tesla that regular deliveries will not occur until December. I put a little bit of thought into how I feel about other people having sat in and driven the car, and I suppose that's not ideal but it hopefully means there won't be issues with the car that weren't already caught. So, I now have a VIN and a delivery date scheduled. Yippee!!

I got a call from my SA yesterday that there's a matching car in So Cal, with 200 miles on it (it's been a test drive car). They're offering it new, with a small discount. My SA noted that they are releasing more test drive cars in light of the current very high demand. They were told yesterday by Tesla that regular deliveries will not occur until December. I put a little bit of thought into how I feel about other people having sat in and driven the car, and I suppose that's not ideal but it hopefully means there won't be issues with the car that weren't already caught. So, I now have a VIN and a delivery date scheduled. Yippee!!
I wouldn’t mind that, I don’t think. Was the vehicle an exact match to your order? How much was the discount, if you don’t mind? When did you order?

Thanks for the helpful information jonquiljo! Glad to know I'm towards the beginning of the rush. Did notice on another thread that illinois typically takes about 26 days on average which is higher than many states. Going to bite the bullet and rent a car today.

I'm curious why 20% of orders are never delivered. Are people cancelling and why?

This all seems a bit like childbirth seem to forget the pain they endured to get the car since when you read satisfaction information it focuses on how high of scores Tesla's receive.

Good luck to everyone .
Actually Oct 4th and Chicago .. from recent trends, you may get a VIN in the next two weeks, with delivery sometime after that. I don’t know if that average is typical - as we represent a small fraction of people who order. But plan on 1 month, possibly a 2nd if Tesla gets strange.

Lots of people cancel. When you were told 2 weeks and it looked like possibly 6-8 (or more) didn’t cancellation cross your mind? I’m pretty committed, but will not even think about having power set up at my house until it looks like one will be coming. Its not the cost of the electrical install ... I just really don’t believe anything Tesla says or does.

By recently making the deposit $100 non-refundable, Tesla has invited lots of people to order and not be too serious. $100 is pocket change when talking about a car. People order, get delayed, lose financing and trade in value - then say to hell with it. Some just fleetingly want a Tesla and say, “forget it” when the time eventually comes.

Perhaps it is like childbirth. Tesla seems to try hard to make many miserable! Well, good luck. Your car will come sooner than later. AWD will help in Chicago. I ordered an AWD too, but in California, it’s not critical. Well, enjoy!

71955 was the last 5 digits of my order number. He said probably second half of November so I'm hoping to get it before Thanksgiving. VIN number shows it to be a 2020 model year.
My order number was 52515 on 10/11. Thats about 20,000 overall orders (probably 14,000 USA Model 3) between Oct 11th and Oct 19th. A little over 2 weeks production.

I think most of the California orderers - like me - are being deferred. You’d think that Tesla would send out a few trucks of cars locally, but they apparently want a delivery zoo between Thanksgiving and Dec 31.
Well, good luck and enjoy!