Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You should see an option for "request a change". That leads to a popup where you can ask for the change of delivery. But probably much better to call the toll free number.

I see an area on my account page for entering insurance info. I just uploaded by insurance card from State Farm. I don't know why it isn't on your page. Are you buying or leasing?

I am buying. I looked on my order page and also went to Account. Do not see the fields. Weird.

I think they still do deliver to certain areas. You would have to order one to find out.

Possible benefits for a Fremont pickup:
  • Get it faster. Makes sense, because they don't have to load it onto a truck
  • More certainty at scheduled delivery time. All SC's are bound to be swamped due to crazy 4 qtr. orders. You may get delays/cancellations - aggravating if you arranged for time off from work, etc. Fremont is a huge facility, so you might be better off.
  • Less chance of damage during transit. Yes it's rare, but it does happen.
  • Very small chance they might offer a factory tour. Who wouldn't want that?

Yes, but I think that changing an order now - even if to a delivery location - has the possibility of fouling up your order altogether. Tesla is not geared well for changes - unless you talk to someone who can make them happen. Even then, I wouldn’t risk it.

So I am clear, if I list my San Jose home address as delivery location, will they bring me the car? I thought they would just use that to locate the closest service center? Is there a benefit to picking up in Fremont?

Depending on where you live in San Jose - the drive to Fremont may not be terrible. I wouldn’t change an order now, IMO, as too much chance of getting Tesla confused.

I second this seeing I ordered on the 19th. Thought being in Chicago and not in Cali might speed this up, guess not. Lame.
Blackburnrover - have you found a VIN in your source code yet and where in Chicago are you picking up your car? If Highland Park will be interesting to see if your car was on the truck I spotted on the Eden's today. Wondering if Tesla sends a batch of vehicles on one train from Freemont to Chicagoland area and then distributes them via truck to all the dealerships in the area.

Hope I don't get your hopes up too much but even if your car isn't in this batch at least you know they are filling orders in the area and there are less open orders in the Chicagoland area ahead of you.
tesla delivery chicago.jpg

Blackburnrover - have you found a VIN in your source code yet and where in Chicago are you picking up your car? If Highland Park will be interesting to see if your car was on the truck I spotted on the Eden's today. Wondering if Tesla sends a batch of vehicles on one train from Freemont to Chicagoland area and then distributes them via truck to all the dealerships in the area.

Hope I don't get your hopes up too much but even if your car isn't in this batch at least you know they are filling orders in the area and there are less open orders in the Chicagoland area ahead of you.View attachment 471889

Unfortunately no VIN yet. I'm picking up in Westmont. I've not heard a peep from Tesla in the two weeks since I ordered so doesn't look like I'll be getting mine soon. I work for a railroad and believe they come into the BNSF logistics park not too far from me down in Elwood. Looking forward to hearing about your pickup experience. Stay warm if you are trick or treating tonight! We got lucky and ours got moved to tomorrow. :)

Went to Apple store today for the new AirPods. Right across the way is the Tesla showroom (it's a great mall, including B8ta store, Microsoft store and Amazon 4 star). So how could I resist? I learned some interesting tidbits.
  • They are in transition now, and soon there won't be a distinction between Sales Associate and Delivery Manager. They will be one and the same. Makes sense to have a single person see it all the way through.
  • They are every bit "in the dark" as we are with regards to current production at the plant. However:
  • He said they were told my configuration (LR/AWD) is scheduled for a huge batch run in November, so I might get mine sooner than other configs. I took it to meaning they will go through all booked orders during that batch. He also said color/seats/wheels has no impact, the batches are done by frame/battery. Everything else is done later in the line.

SF Bay Area folks: News also from the SA regarding pickup in Fremont. It would probably result in getting car a day earlier. I asked if changing the pickup location would affect my place in queue. Answer, no, just call your SA and it's easily done.

He said you can change anything in your order up until a VIN is assigned without affecting your place in line for that frame/battery. Keep in mind that can be a few days before you see it on your account page, so be sure to check the source code for VIN assignments.

Went to Apple store today for the new AirPods. Right across the way is the Tesla showroom (it's a great mall, including B8ta store, Microsoft store and Amazon 4 star). So how could I resist? I learned some interesting tidbits.
  • They are in transition now, and soon there won't be a distinction between Sales Associate and Delivery Manager. They will be one and the same. Makes sense to have a single person see it all the way through.
  • They are every bit "in the dark" as we are with regards to current production at the plant. However:
  • He said they were told my configuration (LR/AWD) is scheduled for a huge batch run in November, so I might get mine sooner than other configs. I took it to meaning they will go through all booked orders during that batch. He also said color/seats/wheels has no impact, the batches are done by frame/battery. Everything else is done later in the line.
Tesla is always "in transition!" The problem is that lots of us don't have SA's that we remember (or that remember us) to check our orders.

When you say, "They are every bit "in the dark" as we are with regards to current production at the plant." --- that says Tesla doesn't know what it's doing!!!

My config is LR AWD too - but there are interior and exterior color choices that could be of issue. The wheels are probably installed on the spot.

I know the store that you went to - Corte Madera. Now that we have power here and I have sort of slept for a night - I may drop by there over the weekend. I'm only 15-20 minutes north. It sounds like they don't tell SA's anything - however. But worth a try. I think this Tesla thing has to be pursued aggressively if possible - at least when we know that they actually have cars to sell.

I definitely want to avoid the "end of December" rush. It will be a total zoo.

BTW - if you had power out for 4-5 days - then you have learned what I have learned - that EV's are not that helpful when there is no juice available. At least some gas stations run on generators and make a fortune during these "shutdowns." For sure, I would not be an EV only car family. I'm still going to keep a Tesla, but will never be without a gas car in emergencies. Somehow I don't think this problem will be over for a very long time around here.

SF Bay Area folks: News also from the SA regarding pickup in Fremont. It would probably result in getting car a day earlier. I asked if changing the pickup location would affect my place in queue. Answer, no, just call your SA and it's easily done.

He said you can change anything in your order up until a VIN is assigned without affecting your place in line for that frame/battery. Keep in mind that can be a few days before you see it on your account page, so be sure to check the source code for VIN assignments.

Only a day earlier????? SF to Fremont and back is such a crap shoot. Maybe before Thanksgiving, but after .... no way. I lived in Palo Alto and Menlo Park for many years - and all things over the bridge down there were really bumper to bumper.

As long as picking up in SF doesn't add a week or more, it's better to wait, IMO.

Tesla is always "in transition!" The problem is that lots of us don't have SA's that we remember (or that remember us) to check our orders.

When you say, "They are every bit "in the dark" as we are with regards to current production at the plant." --- that says Tesla doesn't know what it's doing!!!

My config is LR AWD too - but there are interior and exterior color choices that could be of issue. The wheels are probably installed on the spot.

I know the store that you went to - Corte Madera. Now that we have power here and I have sort of slept for a night - I may drop by there over the weekend. I'm only 15-20 minutes north. It sounds like they don't tell SA's anything - however. But worth a try. I think this Tesla thing has to be pursued aggressively if possible - at least when we know that they actually have cars to sell.

I definitely want to avoid the "end of December" rush. It will be a total zoo.

BTW - if you had power out for 4-5 days - then you have learned what I have learned - that EV's are not that helpful when there is no juice available. At least some gas stations run on generators and make a fortune during these "shutdowns." For sure, I would not be an EV only car family. I'm still going to keep a Tesla, but will never be without a gas car in emergencies. Somehow I don't think this problem will be over for a very long time around here.

I think you are a bit harsh saying "Tesla doesn't know what it's doing". That's a long way from not keeping SA's up to date. He specifically said batches are done by frame/battery, and all other options come later. I don't know if options make a difference in ordering within the production batch. The important takeaway is frame/battery is the biggest factor in production ordering.

The SA I talked to (didn't catch his name) has been there awhile, as I've seen him before. He may be the showroom manager. He talked rather convincingly, as if he's had lots of experience with this matter ("believe me, we are as frustrated as you are"). I am very inclined to take what he said at face value.

We lost grid power for 76 hours. But we didn't lose a second of power to our home because of our Powerwalls (we bit the Tesla bug hard this year :D). Since we have 40 kWh storage capacity that gets replenished every day, we were able to keep our EVs (Bolt + Leaf) topped off. But then, we didn't make any long trips during that period.

Reactions: Someguy4747
Only a day earlier????? SF to Fremont and back is such a crap shoot. Maybe before Thanksgiving, but after .... no way. I lived in Palo Alto and Menlo Park for many years - and all things over the bridge down there were really bumper to bumper.

As long as picking up in SF doesn't add a week or more, it's better to wait, IMO.

I still haven't made up my mind. I am still holding out hope that I can take delivery before Thanksgiving. You are probably right it's more than a day earlier, but traffic shouldn't be a consideration. Truck drivers are very patient, and heavy traffic would only delay things by an hour, two tops, barring any massive freeway/bridge closure.

I'm not at all worried about changing delivery affecting the queue. I don't see how it could. The car is already off the line, inspected and cleaned. The only difference is they don't have to load it on a truck.

I still haven't made up my mind. I am still holding out hope that I can take delivery before Thanksgiving. You are probably right it's more than a day earlier, but traffic shouldn't be a consideration. Truck drivers are very patient, and heavy traffic would only delay things by an hour, two tops, barring any massive freeway/bridge closure.

I'm not at all worried about changing delivery affecting the queue. I don't see how it could. The car is already off the line, inspected and cleaned. The only difference is they don't have to load it on a truck.

I think Tesla thinks in terms of dozens of trucks x 100!

I guess I'm skittish in that I have had a car accident with a 4 day old car years ago. Really annoying.

From Fremont to Marin - is just too much room to get tired and mess up a shiny new Tesla if you are in horrific traffic. With what - 20-40 minutes driving experience in these things? No way! SF to Marin can be an hour - 1 1/2 hrs and traffic over the GG bridge can be murder if you are trying to drive and work the touchscreen as well. Nope - I think I want to get the car and learn to drive the thing before I give myself a chance to get distracted and hit something!

I think Tesla thinks in terms of dozens of trucks x 100!

I guess I'm skittish in that I have had a car accident with a 4 day old car years ago. Really annoying.

From Fremont to Marin - is just too much room to get tired and mess up a shiny new Tesla if you are in horrific traffic. With what - 20-40 minutes driving experience in these things? No way! SF to Marin can be an hour - 1 1/2 hrs and traffic over the GG bridge can be murder if you are trying to drive and work the touchscreen as well. Nope - I think I want to get the car and learn to drive the thing before I give myself a chance to get distracted and hit something!

I understand totally. I rented an M3 via Turo a few weeks ago (that ended up costing me $50k :D ), so I have a basic working knowledge of the controls. I envision heavy traffic coming back (regardless of delivery center), but I'll be in a comfortable car with an awesome sound system. That takes the sting off bumper to bumper traffic.

I just checked driving time between San Rafael and Fremont plant. It's probably the height of rush hour right now (5:15 PM). One hour, 35 minutes. I checked the same route for a 2 AM departure and it showed one hour, 5 minutes.

Ordered 10/17 M3 LR AWD w/ Black Interior and 18" Aero wheels. Located in Los Angeles, CA.

Radio silence since order. No Vin in source code or on appearing on Tesla Account page. Called Buena Park Tesla and was told unlikely to see anything until December. Despite the news from Delivery Center I am still obsessively reading forums, refreshing pages, and getting absolutely 0 work done. At this rate, I may be fired by the time I get my car.

I think you are a bit harsh saying "Tesla doesn't know what it's doing". That's a long way from not keeping SA's up to date. He specifically said batches are done by frame/battery, and all other options come later. I don't know if options make a difference in ordering within the production batch. The important takeaway is frame/battery is the biggest factor in production ordering.

The SA I talked to (didn't catch his name) has been there awhile, as I've seen him before. He may be the showroom manager. He talked rather convincingly, as if he's had lots of experience with this matter ("believe me, we are as frustrated as you are"). I am very inclined to take what he said at face value.

We lost grid power for 76 hours. But we didn't lose a second of power to our home because of our Powerwalls (we bit the Tesla bug hard this year :D). Since we have 40 kWh storage capacity that gets replenished every day, we were able to keep our EVs (Bolt + Leaf) topped off. But then, we didn't make any long trips during that period.

I think I did a test drive with that SA. He was kind of quiet at first, but opened up after a bit.

We were without power from Saturday night to Tuesday afternoon. I don't know how many hours that is but it was damn cold! We spent Tuesday night at a hotel in SF because we didn't trust PG&E - and had run out of food.

We live in one of these "neighborhoods" where the County made a big deal about what color houses were and how the houses look! We also have a 90 - year tile roof that is easily broken, and replacement tiles are not available anymore. I'd only do solar if I could buy it (I don't want a lien on this house!) - and only if there were batteries to store it (Powerwall is great!). But if my roof tiles get broken, I'm SOL. We spent $4000 a few years ago just getting "similar replacements" for about 20 cracked tiles (the house is only 15 years old).

I did ask Tesla if they would install solar in our yard (we have more flat space than anyone could ever want), but Tesla said that ground installations were 10X more expensive.

So I'm stuck with the decision of taking a house in a "county over-managed" neighborhood -- adding solar to the roof and possibly screwing up the house value and fighting with the county to even get it ------- or ------ just putting in a big generator and living with life in the Bay Area. I'm not going to make decisions until I get some sleep. I'm kind of sick of all of it!