Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MD: FS GENUINE OEM Tesla 21" Turbine Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

I’d like to give this guy the benefit of the doubt, because he was nice and seemed to be upfront with the purchase. Since then though, I’ve tried to contact him a week ago and he hasn’t responded, so I’m guessing that he knew what was going on.

1) When I went to mount my tires, all 4 of these have bends in them. Even if I looked when I got them, I probably wouldn’t have seen them. However, it’s pretty obvious when they were on the balancer. So I figured he might have not known. Except....one was even marked.

2) to make it worse... I didn’t look close, but I bought three front wheels and only one rear.....err...

So not sure how he got these, but make sure even on the forums here that you check into members and establish some trust.

I’d gladly correct this post if he contacts me and we can resolve some of the cost it’ll take me to order another rear and straighten the other three.

Ugh that's terrible.

He went from $1800 to $1000.?? He only has 17 posts!

Yeah, I should have looked at his profile page first. Lesson learned. I Usually do my homework if I’m buying on Craigslist, but just got careless since he was listing it here.

In the end, I found a refurb rim from a reputable rim dealer online for $300 and the other rims I was quoted $110 a piece. So $1600 for rims total is not too horrible, I guess.

Anyone need a bent front twin turbine rim? Lol.

Yeah, I should have looked at his profile page first. Lesson learned. I Usually do my homework if I’m buying on Craigslist, but just got careless since he was listing it here.

In the end, I found a refurb rim from a reputable rim dealer online for $300 and the other rims I was quoted $110 a piece. So $1600 for rims total is not too horrible, I guess.

Anyone need a bent front twin turbine rim? Lol.
You know that's still not a bad deal just sucks some people are just downright dishonest.

@Dpc131 Sorry to hear about your situation and dealing with that p.o.s.

I have been shopping for a used MS for a few months and situations like this are exactly what I hope to avoid. Thank you for helping me realize I need to continue doing my due diligence. My search currently has me checking the differences of experience with the tires of the car.

It seems you now have two sets of tires (19" for winter and 21" for summer). If this is accurate, how has your experience been so far?

I'm looking for info on the true cost to own and wear and tear. If there is any other helpful information you could provide that is welcomed.

I actually just switched back to my 19” for the winter. I absolutely love the look of the 21”, but if you are looking at cost to own; they only come in summer tires from what I’ve found. I have 10k on them and they are probably half spent. But it is worth it, the car looks awesome with them.

I have all seasons, so using the 19” for the rough weather and cold temperatures.

I bought my MS from third party dealer and really haven’t had many issues at all. Tesla was great while under warranty (I bought with 47k miles) and since then I’m up to 66k miles and the only thing that has been an issue is the door handles. YouTube has shown me how to fix them pretty easily. I kept my other cars, a commuter and a truck to take the daily wear and tear off the MS, but they just sit in my driveway and hardly ever get used. I just love driving the MS too much.

Reactions: bnsfengineer
I actually just switched back to my 19” for the winter. I absolutely love the look of the 21”, but if you are looking at cost to own; they only come in summer tires from what I’ve found. I have 10k on them and they are probably half spent. But it is worth it, the car looks awesome with them.

I have all seasons, so using the 19” for the rough weather and cold temperatures.

I bought my MS from third party dealer and really haven’t had many issues at all. Tesla was great while under warranty (I bought with 47k miles) and since then I’m up to 66k miles and the only thing that has been an issue is the door handles. YouTube has shown me how to fix them pretty easily. I kept my other cars, a commuter and a truck to take the daily wear and tear off the MS, but they just sit in my driveway and hardly ever get used. I just love driving the MS too much.

Thanks for your input. I too am planning to purchase from a 3rd party (non-Tesla) dealer. Given the various horrific experiences I have heard about and read about (2+ months waiting period, not being able to see pics of the car before purchase etc...) it seems like 3rd party purchase is the way to go at this time. Hopefully, Tesla will make a few needed adjustments to change the buying process for the better.

In regard to the tires, I have read a lot about people who prefer the look of the 21" over the 19", understandably so. I am a fan of the MS regardless of the tire size, but my budget prefers the 19". I'm planning to buy after the new year when prices on the used MS (late 2016-2018) will come down more into my range. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. It does help people like me make a more informed purchase.

Keep enjoying your MS, cheers!

FYI Vredestein recently came out with some 21 inch all seasons. Pretty reasonably priced and also has a tread-wear warranty.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?message=singleSize&tireMake=Vredestein&tireModel=Quatrac+Pro&width=245/&ratio=35&diameter=21&autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2016&autoModel=Model+S&autoModClar=75D&minLoadRating=S&minSpeedRating=V&cameFrom=selectOE&partnum=435YR1QTPXL

I jinxed myself with this post! The next day, my trunk wouldn’t open. A quick forum search and there was a limited window of 2015s that seem to have a problem with the cinch actuator failing when the trunk is closed. Problem is that the car thinks the trunk is open which deactivates all of the driver assistance features including autopilot. ranger is coming out Wednesday to fix it. Oh well.