Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Midnight silver chrome delete rear end

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if anyone has a good chrome delete technique besides going all black on rear chrome bar and rear T.

I'm looking to chrome delete all sides and front chrome less T logo.

Rear, I'm not sure what to do. Debadge? Chrome TESLA letters. Leave badges chrome?

I know hyper critical.

I'm painting the plastic body color and getting machined faced rims so I want to make sure it ties in some chrome on the car besides the front T emblem.

Post pics if you have them.

What do you want to do with the embossed TESLA lettering on the chrome strip? Hard to not destroy the adhesive seals on that strip getting it off but the strip is only $200. Pulling those embossed letters off is easy but getting a smooth surface to paint after filling them is tough.

40F879B5-160F-4F9F-BA7E-B7182A0DCDD3.jpeg
D60FCD2E-AC38-4377-BD46-ADF4EAFBE906.jpeg

I debadged the back and color matched the front and rear trim.

Reactions: gigacar
I'm painting the plastic body color

All totally subjective personal preference here, but I don't like the look of the X with the lower body trim colour coded. It makes this car look massively slab sided and heavy, especially in lighter colours. It was a clever illusion to make the lower trims black as it makes the car look more in proportion. There is an awful lot of sheet metal on the side of a Model X as it is! Jaguar used a similar visual trick in adding a black panel down the lower side of their iPace. Again colour-coding that black panel instantly makes it look slab sided. Then there's the practical side as the lower trims on the X take a real beating from stones and other road debris. Anything colour coded down there is going to look like someone took a bead-blaster to it in no time!

I do like your partial chrome delete idea though. I would definitely de-chrome the window trims and door buttons (in satin or gloss black rather than body colour), but would probably leave the front and rear chrome trims and badging alone for a bit of contrast. Again colour matching trims that were originally there just to visually break up the panels around them seems a bit counter-productive to me. You are in danger of creating a massive homogeneous blob here if you are not careful!

All totally subjective personal preference here, but I don't like the look of the X with the lower body trim colour coded. It makes this car look massively slab sided and heavy, especially in lighter colours. It was a clever illusion to make the lower trims black as it makes the car look more in proportion. There is an awful lot of sheet metal on the side of a Model X as it is! Jaguar used a similar visual trick in adding a black panel down the lower side of their iPace. Again colour-coding that black panel instantly makes it look slab sided. Then there's the practical side as the lower trims on the X take a real beating from stones and other road debris. Anything colour coded down there is going to look like someone took a bead-blaster to it in no time!

I do like your partial chrome delete idea though. I would definitely de-chrome the window trims and door buttons (in satin or gloss black rather than body colour), but would probably leave the front and rear chrome trims and badging alone for a bit of contrast. Again colour matching trims that were originally there just to visually break up the panels around them seems a bit counter-productive to me. You are in danger of creating a massive homogeneous blob here if you are not careful!

Slab blob coming in hot. I can always ord3r new pieces if it doesn't turn out. I'll post photos once I get delete, tint and wheels on. I agree with you on white making it slabby and tall. I've never liked it on white. Loved it on silver and red, so hopefully midnight solver turns out.

Just trying to make it unique. Time will tell.

Slab blob coming in hot. I can always ord3r new pieces if it doesn't turn out. I'll post photos once I get delete, tint and wheels on. I agree with you on white making it slabby and tall. I've never liked it on white. Loved it on silver and red, so hopefully midnight solver turns out.

Just trying to make it unique. Time will tell.

I think on Midnight Silver, painting the lower trims and wheel arch extensions will have little effect as there is hardly any contrast to start with:-

midnight-silver-metallic-model-x-20-inch-matte-black-turbine-tst-wheel-3_1024x1024.jpg

Only the chrome delete will be obvious.

Reactions: Kentegra