Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mismatched tires on AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if mismatched tires affect AWD Tesla. Like say, 2 continentals in the front and 2 Michelin in the back. Or does it have to be all the same brand and type all around. I'm about to replace my dad tires for the front and we have 2 new continental tires kept as backup for blown tires.

Nope. Traditional AWD systems use mechanical devices to transfer power around so you want the same tread depth (ride height or outside rolling diameter) or close to it all the way around. Significantly different tread depth tires or tire types can create different resistance that just isn't an issue in a Tesla AWD since each pair of wheels is powered by it's own motor through an open (read: not LSD) differential via direct drive.

On multiple occasions now I've had tire shop workers as me if the car is AWD (even though they know it's a Tesla/EV) then proceed to tell me I need to change all four tires because I "Don't want a $10k transfer case repair bill" before I politely decline their "professional" advice.

• Informative
Reactions: akng126 and X-pilot