Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 2021 Rear Light Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if the European tail lights on a Model 3 2020 and 2021 refresh the same/a drop in replacement? I've found a US-oriented thread that suggests they may not be (but also alludes to European cars being different). Is anyone able to confirm?

If you're looking to replace your European M3 tail-lights with US M3 ones you can't without failing your MOT, voiding your insurance etc.

The US tail-lights share the same bulb fixture/strip of LED's for the rear-brake light and turn signals. Hence why the indicator appears bigger on US cars as it's all the same light strip. In Europe this isn't allowed, and they have to be a separate light unit, hence the admittedly crappy compromise we have with tiny rear-indicators.

In addition the indicator would be red in colour, not orange.

Worth a watch, on the subject matter!

If you're looking to replace your European M3 tail-lights with US M3 ones you can't without failing your MOT, voiding your insurance etc.

The US tail-lights share the same bulb fixture/strip of LED's for the rear-brake light and turn signals. Hence why the indicator appears bigger on US cars as it's all the same light strip. In Europe this isn't allowed, and they have to be a separate light unit, hence the admittedly crappy compromise we have with tiny rear-indicators.

In addition the indicator would be red in colour, not orange.

Worth a watch, on the subject matter!
Thanks for the response. I want to replace a 2021 UK rear light cluster with a 2020 UK rear light cluster and just want to understand if they are the same.

I had all four of mine changed under warranty on my 2021 model. I searched the part numbers from my service invoice with ones on eBay, they all match with those listed as 2019/2020.

There were several different revision numbers (the last character, minor improvements), but the actual part numbers are identical. So I would say they are drop in replacements.

Mine are:

LAMP ASY, LIFTGATE REVERSE, LH(1077401-00-G)

LAMP ASY, LIFTGATE REAR FOG, RH(1077404-00-C)

LAMP ASY, REAR BODYSIDE ECE, RH(1077400-00-B)

LAMP ASY, REAR BODYSIDE ECE, LH(1077399-00-C)

I did see the USA discussion somewhere, but I'd understood different part numbers over there.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
I had all four of mine changed under warranty on my 2021 model. I searched the part numbers from my service invoice with ones on eBay, they all match with those listed as 2019/2020.

There were several different revision numbers (the last character, minor improvements), but the actual part numbers are identical. So I would say they are drop in replacements.

Mine are:

LAMP ASY, LIFTGATE REVERSE, LH(1077401-00-G)

LAMP ASY, LIFTGATE REAR FOG, RH(1077404-00-C)

LAMP ASY, REAR BODYSIDE ECE, RH(1077400-00-B)

LAMP ASY, REAR BODYSIDE ECE, LH(1077399-00-C)

I did see the USA discussion somewhere, but I'd understood different part numbers over there.
Superb; thanks for the responses all. Confirms what I thought may be the case (but described badly in my original post). The US parts have changed, but UK parts have not (or just minor adjustments from what you are saying).

I'm not convinced the newer revisions are any better in terms of condensation, etc. I think it's probably luck of the drawer in terms of how well a given unit was sealed when manufactured.

There is no architectural difference between the lights between 2019 and current, though.

I'm not convinced the newer revisions are any better in terms of condensation, etc. I think it's probably luck of the drawer in terms of how well a given unit was sealed when manufactured.

There is no architectural difference between the lights between 2019 and current, though.

Totally agree. I can tell by first hand experience as mine had older and now newer revisions. I made a note before it went into service, just because I could.

I've seen some condensation on the newer revision already. Albeit, the original set were clearly faulty from the factory as I could have kept fish in them.

• Funny
Totally agree. I can tell by first hand experience as mine had older and now newer revisions. I made a note before it went into service, just because I could.

I've seen some condensation on the newer revision already. Albeit, the original set were clearly faulty from the factory as I could have kept fish in them.
Having watched the Youtube video showing how 'leaky' some of them are, I'll be tempted to add a thin layer of sealant around the joint before I put the replacements in.

Indeed.

I had both my outer rear lights replaced due to visible water droplets in them. The replacements have been a lot better, but there are circumstances where they still mist up, but it always (touch wood) clears now.

There is a thread on here where someone submerged his in water to find the leaks and then sealed them up himself.

Having watched the Youtube video showing how 'leaky' some of them are, I'll be tempted to add a thin layer of sealant around the joint before I put the replacements in.

Problem is it would be a ranger or SC that fit replacement ones to your car. You'd have to take them off again after they've been installed to seal them up yourself.

Indeed.

I had both my outer rear lights replaced due to visible water droplets in them. The replacements have been a lot better, but there are circumstances where they still mist up, but it always (touch wood) clears now.

There is a thread on here where someone submerged his in water to find the leaks and then sealed them up himself.

Problem is it would be a ranger or SC that fit replacement ones to your car. You'd have to take them off again after they've been installed to seal them up yourself.
Even if you were to put some sealant along the top exposed edges of the ones in the boot lid, it would probably help as that's the most exposed part of them. But taking them out is not such a big deal and at least then you know they'll be good for ever. I sealed mine 6 months ago and zero condensation now.