Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Inventory - Does Anything Look Off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone! Looking at picking up an inventory Model 3 in the coming days and wanted to ask here if it looks like there are any panel gaps or issues with fit and finish with this car. I dont see very many compared to some people here, so something I may miss someone here might be able to spot. Im finally at the point where I can purchase a Tesla and want to make sure I dont miss anything since I have a few choices. My biggest thing is any panel gaps. These were some pictures I got from the parking lot. Hoping for the best with this one, so any input is greatly appreciated!

View media item 119403View media item 119404View media item 119405View media item 119406View media item 119407View media item 119408

Hey everyone! Looking at picking up an inventory Model 3 in the coming days and wanted to ask here if it looks like there are any panel gaps or issues with fit and finish with this car. I dont see very many compared to some people here, so something I may miss someone here might be able to spot. Im finally at the point where I can purchase a Tesla and want to make sure I dont miss anything since I have a few choices. My biggest thing is any panel gaps. These were some pictures I got from the parking lot. Hoping for the best with this one, so any input is greatly appreciated!

View media item 119403View media item 119404View media item 119405View media item 119406View media item 119407View media item 119408

Says I don’t have permission to view the media

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4
Says I don’t have permission to view the media

Sorry, new to the forum and not sure how to get media to upload properly. Hopefully this will work.
file-6.jpeg
file1-4.jpeg
file2-4.jpeg
file3-4.jpeg
file4-3.jpeg
file8-3.jpeg

Sorry, new to the forum and not sure how to get media to upload properly. Hopefully this will work.
View attachment 380332 View attachment 380333 View attachment 380334 View attachment 380335 View attachment 380336 View attachment 380337

That worked. I think you would need closer up pics to be able to tell for sure. From those pics it looks pretty good.

Open the trunk and follow the seal to the bottom area and see if there are any gaps on the lower left.

Check the headlight seating to make sure there are no gaps.

How are the interior door window seals?

The roof glass looks very slightly higher on the left side than the right. I’d check to see how the windshield, middle piece, and rear glass all line up. I’ve seen a lot of variability in sizes.

What VIN range?

• Informative
Reactions: jculbeaux
That worked. I think you would need closer up pics to be able to tell for sure. From those pics it looks pretty good.

Open the trunk and follow the seal to the bottom area and see if there are any gaps on the lower left.

Ok good. Im not sure with the window seals. The location is over an hour away so these were pics that someone on the delivery team sent to me. They offered to do a home delivery for whatever car I chose (and can still refute it upon delivery if needed). The left taillight and charge door looked a little off in the photos. Is the gap between the taillight and the trunk normal? It looks big but not sure if thats just the angle and its how its supposed to be.

Ok good. Im not sure with the window seals. The location is over an hour away so these were pics that someone on the delivery team sent to me. They offered to do a home delivery for whatever car I chose (and can still refute it upon delivery if needed). The left taillight and charge door looked a little off in the photos. Is the gap between the taillight and the trunk normal? It looks big but not sure if thats just the angle and its how its supposed to be.

Good catch. It may just be the angle but that does look slightly big. I do know that mine have slight differences between the part that is closer to the trunk and the part that is closer to the charge port door. I was fine with mine because they were the same size gaps on both the left and right taillights of the car.

The roof glass looks very slightly higher on the left side than the right. I’d check to see how the windshield, middle piece, and rear glass all line up. I’ve seen a lot of variability in sizes.
?
I didnt notice the roof glass being higher on the left side versus the right. Good eye there. I am going to talk to my Sales guy tomorrow about things I noticed. I know this car is prepped and scheduled to be delivered to my apartment Tuesday (no down payment made yet though), but if theres decent enough issues with the car I will look at others. He's working out a deal with me on an inventory car to get it off the lot, and he just referenced this one to me first because it was the OBM paint for free and you couldn't get it anymore.

Its a 2018 build with 17 miles on it. It has a VIN in the 90xxx. Getting $330 off for the miles, and getting the Obsidian Black Metallic paint for free.

Someone will take that if you don’t. OBM not made anymore so it’s limited - at least for the time

Need much closer pictures to tell gaps.

Only issue is if they mismatched solid black and obsidian black body, fenders and bumpers.

Yes this has happened.

I didnt notice the roof glass being higher on the left side versus the right. Good eye there. I am going to talk to my Sales guy tomorrow about things I noticed. I know this car is prepped and scheduled to be delivered to my apartment Tuesday (no down payment made yet though), but if theres decent enough issues with the car I will look at others. He's working out a deal with me on an inventory car to get it off the lot, and he just referenced this one to me first because it was the OBM paint for free and you couldn't get it anymore.

I would say that almost every car is going to have at least minor issues. But if they are minor enough you can live with them I would say take the car (assuming there’s no obvious damage and that it’s a decent deal). Mine had some mild scratches that I wasn’t going to accept but they buffered them out prior to delivery. It also has a few seal bulge issues on the interior but I got them fixed later on. Car had been solid since delivery.

Do yourself a favor, don't ask that question!

There are people here that will find multiple faults in any and every car. Faults that other people would NEVER find.
The worse thing is to get a car and someone else find a fault that you would not have found, but since it was shown to you, is a glaring problem.

Find the ones that impact you. Enjoy the car, don't worry about it!

Do yourself a favor, don't ask that question!

There are people here that will find multiple faults in any and every car. Faults that other people would NEVER find.
The worse thing is to get a car and someone else find a fault that you would not have found, but since it was shown to you, is a glaring problem.

Find the ones that impact you. Enjoy the car, don't worry about it!
I fully agree with that. The main things I saw were the ones pointed out here. Just wanted to know for sure if they were normal things that weren't going to become bigger issues down the road. Its my first time buying a car like this so Im overanalyzing things I guess

Reactions: pipestem
Hmmm. Does it have EAP? Seems like a pretty solid deal. It essentially brand new. Mine had 12 miles at delivery.
yeah, it has EAP. I can get any paint color besides red free with the deal they are given me so its not limited just to the OBM. I just leaned towards it cause its a "rarer" color. But I would get a different car in blue if the mild gaps like this one had werent there. I can always change the color later, panel gaps not so much

Get silver - that's the unicorn colour now :). Car looks good, better than my 29xxx at delivery. I took that car anyways as it's just a freaking blast to drive. To each their own tolerance of panel gaps. Do you intend to resell after a few years or keep for a while? Imperfections are perfect to those who love them for their uniqueness ;)

• Love
Reactions: Brkshlt
Get silver - that's the unicorn colour now :). Car looks good, better than my 29xxx at delivery. I took that car anyways as it's just a freaking blast to drive. To each their own tolerance of panel gaps. Do you intend to resell after a few years or keep for a while? Imperfections are perfect to those who love them for their uniqueness ;)
I plan to keep the car as long as I can. One of the reasons I don mind having a "2018" VIN. I more just concerned with the gaps (especially the roof glass) being big enough that moisture can get in between.

What VIN range?
No panel gaps on my Model 3. I think the issue was blown way out of proportion.