Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 No Longer Sleeps Just Idles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that in the last couple of weeks my phantom drain has shot up. After a review of Tezlab and TeslaFi reports and looking back day by day it seems that on May 21st the car stopped going to sleep and simply just idles now. Even on a day that I don't drive the car at all it just idles and never sleeps. Before anyone asks, I have NOT changed any settings in Tezlab or TeslaFi to prevent sleeping and May 21st was around the time I received an OTA update, I think possibly the braking one, but I've received several lately (new autopilot last week) so it's hard for me to say what I received when as I haven't been recording them. (Is there a way to see an update log for your Model 3?)

Anyway, I am wondering if any other Model 3 owners are now experiencing the same thing with their cars no longer going to sleep?

At some point in the updates the TeslaFi pinging started keeping the car awake. You have to turn on the Sleep mode. I have mine set to Enabled/12 minutes Time to try sleeping/10 min idle

At some point in the updates the TeslaFi pinging started keeping the car awake. You have to turn on the Sleep mode. I have mine set to Enabled/12 minutes Time to try sleeping/10 min idle

Yeah I had sleep mode turned on (still is turned on) prior to the May 22nd update to TeslaFi (the update that added altitude info). Now it seems even though sleep mode is turned on the car has not gone to sleep since May 22nd. I have gone through the TeslaFi FAQ and done everything it requested (new password at Tesla.com, reset car computer, uncheck temp boxes, etc.) and still the car will not go to sleep. I have opened up a support ticket with them.

I had this problem until I disabled all third-party apps *except* TeslaFi (in my case, that was tezlab and Stats). Once I did that the car started sleeping more often and vampire drain is way down. TeslaFi itself seems to do a pretty good job of letting the car go to sleep, but it seems that multiple apps polling the car prevent sleep.

Duh!

As I’ve said before, I don’t understand people who let third party crap interact with their car and then complain about vampire drain.
Definitely wouldn't call Teslafi crap.
Teslafi is really good at managing its impact on the car. It lets the car sleep by managing how it polls for data (or not)
With relatively recent firmware my car gets minimal vampire drain, even over many days without being plugged in.

Reactions: Carl_P