Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 performance dealer discount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some pictures i just got, i see some small imperfections and some orange peel but otherwise looks good!

Attachments

• 9C4A438B-16A7-4A4A-90B2-618DAC46302D.jpeg
    9C4A438B-16A7-4A4A-90B2-618DAC46302D.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 131
  • BABC9E15-7567-4360-A370-8121E72F9694.jpeg
    BABC9E15-7567-4360-A370-8121E72F9694.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 28AA4514-E47F-4F9A-9E04-9DDEAB010CB6.jpeg
    28AA4514-E47F-4F9A-9E04-9DDEAB010CB6.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 5D81D266-F7AE-4729-9759-459BDDDA8078.jpeg
    5D81D266-F7AE-4729-9759-459BDDDA8078.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 2ADDC046-1B5C-4189-8EC4-4BB28DAE1DBC.jpeg
    2ADDC046-1B5C-4189-8EC4-4BB28DAE1DBC.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 108
  • 3F41166A-71B9-467E-B53E-3D5E3FB29D80.jpeg
    3F41166A-71B9-467E-B53E-3D5E3FB29D80.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 100
  • F20D0874-73F9-4DF5-8A7F-221112C792EC.jpeg
    F20D0874-73F9-4DF5-8A7F-221112C792EC.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 111
Oh i will, if its not registered as new they’re gonna need to make a bigger price adjustment. Kinda being a pain but this location hasn’t been the most upfront about things. I still don’t know why they couldn’t just let me pay to have the car transported locally so I could see it. Only way was a 2500 deposit. Its not like they don’t have semis inbound to my location all the time.

I would lean towards newer/later production. The demo may have been built when the factory was doing everything they could to get the cars out the door. A newer production model may have been assembled in less demanding conditions.

Mine was a December 20, 2018 build and while it has a few issues, I'm very happy overall with the quality.
Just my .02.

I did a bunch of sleuthing on this as mine is in that range as well, VIN 55k was built at the end of July 2018, after the one-week shutdown that followed the end of Q2.

The model 3 definitely has its fair share of production issues. I just cant get over the almost 6k discount assuming everything else is fine. I have the manager bringing the car in for free so i can see it. Says they will cancle my deposit if im not happy with it. Normally you only have 72 hours. As far as body panel alignment would you happen to have a picture of what to look for? Is there anything else to look out for on early vins?

The faith is strong with them padawans on this thread ...

Model 3’s issues come primarily from crappy designs (the door munting hardware for instance), parts and build tolerances, not many of which would have had the chance to be upgraded already.

Sure, production should be a bit steadier now and the assembly workers should have gained a bit more experience since, but this does not change the fact that most parts are likely to be the same as before and will therefore develop the same issues.

A car built now should absolutely be better than one built 6 months ago, I just doubt that it would be a whole lot better. If you have to take it in for repair 4 times vs 5 (by my experience, that’s optimistic), then that’s a difference that would be worth 6k to me.

Honestly, I think this is the BEST way to get a Model 3. I test drove a red performance 3 out of our local gallery in August (and then my wife drove the same one a few weeks later). I told the guy right then that I would take that very car if they gave me a decent price adjustment on it (he said nope). It was the exact combo I wanted (red on white), and I could see there were no paint defects (esp important on the red cars since they seem to have a higher number of reported issues). Being able to really inspect the car is invaluable IMO. As to the features added later, I don't think you are missing any of the "public" ones. You should be getting the later seats and any number of other minor fixes. The P3D suspension still appears to be on "version 1" based on the last time I looked at the parts catalog (as compared to the RWD cars which look to have gone through multiple revisions). If the car looks good, I say go for it.

I based the msrp off of the model 3 configurator which probably includes delivery. Im pretty set on the red because my model s was blue and as nice as it is i just want to switch it up. My concern is how beat up it is and now apparently panel alignment. Obviously people drive them hard on a testdrive but the drivetrain is covered under warranty. The paint and interior i will have to go over thoroughly, the manager did say though that they would fix pretty much anything other than minor rock chips. Specifically if the wheels had any curbing or wear/damage on the interior.

Tesla stores are often in a downtown location. Not a whole lot of opportunity to hammer it during test drives. Launch on the on-ramp, yes, but then it already has a new drive unit.

Tent City Tesla's were the golden age of Tesla's. My wife's LR RWD was a Tent City build and never had a single issue. There are certain imperfections in my P3D+ not found in hers. I wish I had gotten my P3D+ earlier.

Her build is Vin: 20xxx, mine is 75xxx.
I agree with you, my car is a May build, 24xxx and I have no complaints about the car. I believe the car is put together much better than my last car.

As others have mentioned, if you are getting it registered as new and nothing stands out as unacceptable in terms of panel alignment, paint defects, or damages it sounds like a great buy.

Did you check the condition of the tires? I know my P3D tends to work its tires pretty aggressively and I'd wonder if after 2800 miles or so of hard test driving they may be a little worse for wear. It's a small added cost if they need to be replaced early, but worth at least a quick check.

So after bugging every tesla employee who’s ever laid eyes on this vehicle it appears to be in perfect condition. What i did however find out is that as a demo vehicle it is in teslas “new inventory”.
Basically after talking to 4 or 5 reps from the corporate office i was able to shed some light on it. Vehicles in new inventory can receive repairs that will never be disclosed to the end consumer. The manager at my service center said that i had no business knowing about prior work and that they would have to talk to the manager in question who was truthful with me. I talked to quite a few reps and they would all pass me aong until i got specific. Once they knew i was aware they would tell me but be very vague. Seems kinda shady overall.

As others have mentioned, if you are getting it registered as new and nothing stands out as unacceptable in terms of panel alignment, paint defects, or damages it sounds like a great buy.

Did you check the condition of the tires? I know my P3D tends to work its tires pretty aggressively and I'd wonder if after 2800 miles or so of hard test driving they may be a little worse for wear. It's a small added cost if they need to be replaced early, but worth at least a quick check.
Definitely gonna try and get a new set of tires out of the deal!

So after bugging every tesla employee who’s ever laid eyes on this vehicle it appears to be in perfect condition. What i did however find out is that as a demo vehicle it is in teslas “new inventory”.
Basically after talking to 4 or 5 reps from the corporate office i was able to shed some light on it. Vehicles in new inventory can receive repairs that will never be disclosed to the end consumer. The manager at my service center said that i had no business knowing about prior work and that they would have to talk to the manager in question who was truthful with me. I talked to quite a few reps and they would all pass me aong until i got specific. Once they knew i was aware they would tell me but be very vague. Seems kinda shady overall.

It doesn't get less shady after the purchase anyway. They do all kinds of work that they do not disclose properly, even when you take it in for repairs. I've never had one instance when what they told me matched 100% to what was actually done or to their service invoice or to my drop-off checklist. Same goes for what they say they do but actually don't do. So, what exactly was worked on before means rather little; it would otherwise be worked on during your time of ownership anyway.

Also, keep in mind that a large percentage of "new" cars have had some sort of rework done. This percentage used to be staggering, it's probably better now but it's meaningless as their QA is still bottom-of-the-barrel vs the industry, so you WILL deal with quality issues anyway. You said you used to own a Model S. There are things about the 3 that are better than the S, but every single S/X I've driven seemed to be bolted together a lot more "tightly" than my 3. I don't think you should extrapolate your S experience to the 3, at least not when it comes to how the various bits are put together.

Check the car out thoroughly yourself, listen for every little creak, vibration, knock ... everything and compare to the newest car you can test-drive. Try it on as many road surface types as possible, especially on concrete roads (those expansion joints induce certain vibrations that highlight loose parts a lot more easily than other driving conditions). Do the same for body panel alignment, especially the glass panels. If you can't tell the difference between this inventory vehicle and a newer tester, go for it.

Also, trust nothing that you hear from any of the sales or corporate staff. They're in no position to tell you anything negative about the vehicle, even if they knew something.

Deal-wise you did fine. Tesla "price adjustments" on demo cars including mine typically range from $2-3/mile. Mine was in excellent condition save for a few minor surface scratches along the trunk. It's performed flawlessly so far and I could care less if and how it was repaired so long as they fixed it! Plenty of other automakers repair "new" cars and never divulge.