Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 performance dealer discount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys new to the forum. Just wanted to run something past you guys. I was previously the owner of a 2016 model s 90d and have nothing but great things to say about it. Fast forward to about a week ago i decided to finally test drive a model 3 and currently have one on a 24 hour test drive. I have the 2500 deposit on a red model 3 performance with all the bells and whistles. Normal msrp on the car is 71,700 but this particular vehicle was a demo and Tesla was nice enough to discount it to 65k and some change. Full warranty and car only has about 2800 miles. I found the discount kinda steep but also found out that the reason why its so high is because the vehicle has had some repairs under warranty.
#1-new rear drive unit and pyro fuse
#2-new 12v battery
#3- rear tail light
#4-hood latch adjustment
All minor minus the drive unit but it doesn’t seem all that uncommon with these cars. Would this deter you guys from a sweet deal or is this to good to pass up assuming everything is 100% fixed?
Also Vin is in the 55500 range if anyone has anything specific to add. Any input would be greaty appreciated!

Hey guys new to the forum. Just wanted to run something past you guys. I was previously the owner of a 2016 model s 90d and have nothing but great things to say about it. Fast forward to about a week ago i decided to finally test drive a model 3 and currently have one on a 24 hour test drive. I have the 2500 deposit on a red model 3 performance with all the bells and whistles. Normal msrp on the car is 71,700 but this particular vehicle was a demo and Tesla was nice enough to discount it to 65k and some change. Full warranty and car only has about 2800 miles. I found the discount kinda steep but also found out that the reason why its so high is because the vehicle has had some repairs under warranty.
#2-new 12v battery
#3- rear tail light
#4-hood latch adjustment
All minor minus the drive unit but it doesn’t seem all that uncommon with these cars. Would this deter you guys from a sweet deal or is this to good to pass up assuming everything is 100% fixed?
Also Vin is in the 55500 range if anyone has anything specific to add. Any input would be greaty appreciated!

You’re working with the assumption that the brand new ones are trouble-free and better put together, which, in my opinion, they’re not.

I would not buy a Tesla at the moment but, if I did, I’d feel a lot more comfortable with one I can personally inspect and test-drive. A lot will probably break on either one anyway (corresponding to the early end of the bathtub reliability curve), so you might as well take the discount. 2.8k miles is not that much. I must have spent at least half of that driving it to service appointments and having techs drive it to “diagnose” the various issues.

If you’re leaning toward getting the demo, check its doors very very thoroughly. If there’s any re-alignment needed, pass on it and get a new one. The new ones are said to have a better door design that makes alignment a lot less of a PITA.

You’re working with the assumption that the brand new ones are trouble-free and better put together, which, in my opinion, they’re not.

I would not buy a Tesla at the moment but, if I did, I’d feel a lot more comfortable with one I can personally inspect and test-drive. A lot will probably break on either one anyway (corresponding to the early end of the bathtub reliability curve), so you might as well take the discount. 2.8k miles is not that much. I must have spent at least half of that driving it to service appointments and having techs drive it to “diagnose” the discount. 2.8k miles is not that much. I mus

I would not buy a Tesla at the moment but, if I did, I’d feel a lot more comfortable with one I can personally inspect and test-drive. A lot will probably break on either one anyway (corresponding to the early end of the bathtub reliability curve), so you might as well take the discount. 2.8k miles is not that much. I must have spent at least half of that driving it to service appointments and having techs drive it to “diagnose” the various issues.

If you’re leaning toward getting the demo, check its doors very very thoroughly. If there’s any re-alignment needed, pass on it and get a new one. The new ones are said to have a better door design that makes alignment a lot less of a PITA.
The model 3 definitely has its fair share of production issues. I just cant get over the almost 6k discount assuming everything else is fine. I have the manager bringing the car in for free so i can see it. Says they will cancle my deposit if im not happy with it. Normally you only have 72 hours. As far as body panel alignment would you happen to have a picture of what to look for? Is there anything else to look out for on early vins?

I would lean towards newer/later production. The demo may have been built when the factory was doing everything they could to get the cars out the door. A newer production model may have been assembled in less demanding conditions.

Mine was a December 20, 2018 build and while it has a few issues, I'm very happy overall with the quality.
Just my .02.

Last edited:
you should be fine, as long as you are fine with any wear and tear it might have but i doubt much with 3k miles. everything else is covered under warranty

what is the MSRP on this car spec'd out?

auto pilot? FSD? color? was this before the +/- thing?

Reactions: dhrivnak
Is there any way to tell the production date from the vin? Also have a picture of the specs for anyone who’s interested:)

Attachments

• B20DCD35-A029-4CAB-87A1-45B3C51066B0.jpeg
    B20DCD35-A029-4CAB-87A1-45B3C51066B0.jpeg
    136.2 KB · Views: 138
  • Love
Reactions: jbcarioca
A new red P3D with white interior and EAP is 70,500 before fees, so I'm assuming that's the same spec as this car + delivery and doc fee? But I would want to see the window sticker as there have been so many pricing changes on this model in the last 3 months.

I don't think I would be too concerned about the repairs you have listed or the mileage assuming it's not beat to hell and the red paint doesnt have too many issues.

If you like red and want a P3D, this is probably the one to get. I agree the discount seems pretty substantial and you'll get another 3750 from the tax credit.

Mine is an August 2018 build, was impeccable on delivery and has no Tesla-originated faults. Further, my car was in an accident. Now it is fully repaired. Despite being crashed into by a truck the wheel alignment remained perfect (that after two wheels were destroyed by impact). The chassis alignment also was perfect. Both of these were not checked when the crashed car arrived because the body shop assumed there would be distortion of the body. After the accident a Tesla Service Center advised me I could drive it the 2200 miles to get home because nothing appeared to be damaged structurally. Only a tire needed replacement to continue. On the return trip the car actually remained with autopilot working, even though two sensors were destroyed. Astonishingly there was no driving degradation.

There are service things to complain about. However, vehicle structural integrity and build quality are astonishing high. My body shop claims Model 3's are the most structurally sound vehicles they've ever seen.

You can safely ignore those who disdain Tesla quality. Their policy always has been to replace questionable parts. So what? That's good, and the warranty does well.

I bought an inventory SP85D with 3,000 miles, saved a lot of money. I had zero issues of substance. That was a 2014. I did have a 12 v battery, an a/c condenser and a charging port replaced under warranty, but that was it.

Check the ultra-high usage vehicles such as Tesloop for reference:
Tesloop
There are several examples of Teslas with exceedingly high usage with minimal problems.
Christian Roy ⚡⚡️ (@TeslaTaxi) | Twitter
Christian Roy is over 310,000 km on a taxi in Quebec City. I've met him and seen his car.

Short conclusion: don't worry at all. Tesla will fix anything that goes wrong, but almost certainly not much will.

I based the msrp off of the model 3 configurator which probably includes delivery. Im pretty set on the red because my model s was blue and as nice as it is i just want to switch it up. My concern is how beat up it is and now apparently panel alignment. Obviously people drive them hard on a testdrive but the drivetrain is covered under warranty. The paint and interior i will have to go over thoroughly, the manager did say though that they would fix pretty much anything other than minor rock chips. Specifically if the wheels had any curbing or wear/damage on the interior.

#2-new 12v battery
#3- rear tail light
#4-hood latch adjustment
It sounds like a good deal. If it passes you inspection I would jump on it. I have a VIN 72XX and we are VERY satisfied.

Mine is an August 2018 build, was impeccable on delivery and has no Tesla-originated faults. Further, my car was in an accident. Now it is fully repaired. Despite being crashed into by a truck the wheel alignment remained perfect (that after two wheels were destroyed by impact). The chassis alignment also was perfect. Both of these were not checked when the crashed car arrived because the body shop assumed there would be distortion of the body. After the accident a Tesla Service Center advised me I could drive it the 2200 miles to get home because nothing appeared to be damaged structurally. Only a tire needed replacement to continue. On the return trip the car actually remained with autopilot working, even though two sensors were destroyed. Astonishingly there was no driving degradation.

There are service things to complain about. However, vehicle structural integrity and build quality are astonishing high. My body shop claims Model 3's are the most structurally sound vehicles they've ever seen.

You can safely ignore those who disdain Tesla quality. Their policy always has been to replace questionable parts. So what? That's good, and the warranty does well.

I bought an inventory SP85D with 3,000 miles, saved a lot of money. I had zero issues of substance. That was a 2014. I did have a 12 v battery, an a/c condenser and a charging port replaced under warranty, but that was it.

Check the ultra-high usage vehicles such as Tesloop for reference:
Tesloop
There are several examples of Teslas with exceedingly high usage with minimal problems.
Christian Roy ⚡⚡️ (@TeslaTaxi) | Twitter
Christian Roy is over 310,000 km on a taxi in Quebec City. I've met him and seen his car.

Short conclusion: don't worry at all. Tesla will fix anything that goes wrong, but almost certainly not much will.
Thanks for the assurance lol. I bought my model s used with 20k miles on it and like i said never had an issue. So naturally at first i was fine with the thought of a used model 3 but there aren’t many used and even less performance trim speced like i want. Also most are pretty close to sticker.

Still curious if anyone here knows of a way to tell when it was manufactured?

Thanks for the assurance lol. I bought my model s used with 20k miles on it and like i said never had an issue. So naturally at first i was fine with the thought of a used model 3 but there aren’t many used and even less performance trim speced like i want. Also most are pretty close to sticker.

Still curious if anyone here knows of a way to tell when it was manufactured?
55xxx vin is mid-july 2018.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Knowing what I know now, I'd personally take the deal because the first thing we do after receiving Model 3 (well, after naming the vehicle) is paint correction, tint windows, add PPF, coat with ceramic, wrap center console, delete chrome,.... basically, the expensive stuff to keep the car in good condition (and looking beautiful) in the real world.

As of this posting I'm sadly thrashing around in Chicago snow/salt/brutal cold temperatures without PPF because we just don't have the budget at the moment. Really looking forward to that tax credit, though!

I would check the sticker but I don’t have the car to look at yet. Its still in transit from the service center it was at about 200 miles away.

Where was tesla at with the production of these in mid July ? Tent city lol

Tent City Tesla's were the golden age of Tesla's. My wife's LR RWD was a Tent City build and never had a single issue. There are certain imperfections in my P3D+ not found in hers. I wish I had gotten my P3D+ earlier.

Her build is Vin: 20xxx, mine is 75xxx.

Don't assume a VIN is linked to a specific build date. Use the build date on the sticker as shown above. There's lots of evidence of Tesla's VINs not being sequential, with some very significant gaps noted on more than one occasion.

That said, if you are satisfied with the car after inspecting it, I'd say to go for it. I absolutely love my red P3D.

• Informative
Reactions: GigaGrunt