Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 steering wheel power connection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may be a dumb question, but how is power connected to the steering wheel from the car? Looking at it when it's apart, I don't see any plug to connect the wheel assembly to some power wire coming from the car. Is power connected via contact between the steering wheel housing and the steering column? I've never looked at a steering wheel that had controls on the wheel before, so this is my first time.

Are you thinking and asking about 'how does power reach the steering wheel controls, horn actuators, airbag, etc)' or 're power steering'?

For the former:
If you watch any of the steering wheel replacement videos or try to take it apart yourself, you you see the two plugs under the airbag that route data and power to both the airbag and the steering wheel controls, heated steering wheel (if applicable).

Oi, dumb question, indeed. Thank you, Perscitus. I was examining the wheel I was going to replace my stock one with and had a brain fart (I thought the loose connector was for the airbag). Anyway, I appreciate the slap to the back of my head. Cheers.