Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarThree 8” Heads-Up Display with CarPlay and AA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this one is deserving of its own discussion rather than being lost in another thread about a specific Hansshow model.

This is an inexpensive display and the largest steering wheel mount that won’t get blocked by the wheel at 8”. There is no camera option.

I installed this in my 2018 Model 3 after returning my Hansshow F68 because I wanted a unit with a built-in speaker. I had previously given up on using a wireless adapter as well.

My goal was to not need my phone to have CarPlay/Waze just be there automatically when I get in the car and not interfere with the use of the Tesla screen and use of the audio apps.

This fits the bill perfectly.

Best of all it’s available on Amazon:

CarThree 8 Inch Head Up Display for Tesla Model 3 2017-2023 Model Y 2019-2023 with Wireless Apple Carplay & Wireless Android Auto Bluetooth WiFi Navigation Power Speed IPS HD Touchscreen

My thoughts after some night and day use:

- Built in speaker(s) that sounds better than the F68.

- Angle of the screen matches the Tesla screen so looks more stock

- Pedestal of the screen to the steering wheel mount allows air flow

- Wider/bigger display offers easier reach around on the left side of the steering wheel for CarPlay side icons and plenty of room for split screen if you don’t want full screen CarPlay

- WiFi connectivity. I Instantly connected to my phones hotspot and downloaded an update

- Can superimpose a tiny speedometer on top of Carplay (see photo, shows 0)

- Superimposes a car on top of CarPlay when door open etc with selectable car color

- Automatically connects to CarPlay for 100% Waze use with built-in speaker

- Just a single thin cable wire to run from the screen to the harness by the passenger footwell

- If you want some car info displayed, this is wide enough to not use CarPlay in full screen and have some car info on the right side

- Screen is not too bright like the F68 was…doesn’t have that glow…matches Tesla screen well

- More subtle, but something that bothered me about previous one I had and you don’t see mentioned about these…is that the reflection in the windshield at night is almost imperceptible. Probably improved due to angle of the display and the fact that it is not as bright…anyway, the annoying distraction is gone

- Offers steering wheel controls as well.

Basically this is a seamless integration for me. Waze is just there now automatically 100% of the time while use of my Tesla is unchanged.

Attachments

• IMG_1221.jpeg
    IMG_1221.jpeg
    967.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1222.jpeg
    IMG_1222.jpeg
    375.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1223.jpeg
    IMG_1223.jpeg
    534.2 KB · Views: 87
Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever this is, a heads-up display (HUD) this is NOT !
HUDs project information onto the windshield (quality ones), or a piece of transparent plastic near windshield (cheap ones).

Perhaps you could call it an instrument cluster, except it doesn't seam to be displaying comprehensive vehicle information (speed, battery SOC, battery temp, consumption, etc.)?
It looks a lot more like a dedicated Android display that integrates with CarPlay ?

The bezel is thick but the screen is still bigger than similar offerings from Hansshow and TMA. And it’s cheaper.

Granted it’s smaller, but the thick bezels blend well with the thick bezels of the Tesla screen.

I think this one is deserving of its own discussion rather than being lost in another thread about a specific Hansshow model.

This is an inexpensive display and the largest steering wheel mount that won’t get blocked by the wheel at 8”. There is no camera option.

I installed this in my 2018 Model 3 after returning my Hansshow F68 because I wanted a unit with a built-in speaker. I had previously given up on using a wireless adapter as well.

My goal was to not need my phone to have CarPlay/Waze just be there automatically when I get in the car and not interfere with the use of the Tesla screen and use of the audio apps.

This fits the bill perfectly.

Best of all it’s available on Amazon:

CarThree 8 Inch Head Up Display for Tesla Model 3 2017-2023 Model Y 2019-2023 with Wireless Apple Carplay & Wireless Android Auto Bluetooth WiFi Navigation Power Speed IPS HD Touchscreen

My thoughts after some night and day use:

- Built in speaker(s) that sounds better than the F68.

- Angle of the screen matches the Tesla screen so looks more stock

- Pedestal of the screen to the steering wheel mount allows air flow

- Wider/bigger display offers easier reach around on the left side of the steering wheel for CarPlay side icons and plenty of room for split screen if you don’t want full screen CarPlay

- WiFi connectivity. I Instantly connected to my phones hotspot and downloaded an update

- Can superimpose a tiny speedometer on top of Carplay (see photo, shows 0)

- Superimposes a car on top of CarPlay when door open etc with selectable car color

- Automatically connects to CarPlay for 100% Waze use with built-in speaker

- Just a single thin cable wire to run from the screen to the harness by the passenger footwell

- If you want some car info displayed, this is wide enough to not use CarPlay in full screen and have some car info on the right side

- Screen is not too bright like the F68 was…doesn’t have that glow…matches Tesla screen well

- More subtle, but something that bothered me about previous one I had and you don’t see mentioned about these…is that the reflection in the windshield at night is almost imperceptible. Probably improved due to angle of the display and the fact that it is not as bright…anyway, the annoying distraction is gone

- Offers steering wheel controls as well.

Basically this is a seamless integration for me. Waze is just there now automatically 100% of the time while use of my Tesla is unchanged.
Hi.

I was hoping you would answer some questions about it.

Is it bright in the daylight? One that I bought from Satonic is way too dim in bright sun to be readable, even if set to 100%. If possible, any chance of a picture during the day, outside in bright sun, catching both it and the Tesla screen for comparison?

What computer do you have (Intel or Ryzen)?

A picture of the HUD shows two connectors (not on Amazon but another site). Did you have to use 2 connectors or do they send one for each computer?

Is there a way to update software?

Who actually makes it (any website or email address)?

The Satonic I installed took away the ability to change the gap via the left/right push of the right wheel. Does yours still work?

It is only for CarPlay and not Android auto? I don't have an Apple phone...

Thank you very much in advance.

It does AA as well. It connects easily to WiFi and downloads updates on its own in seconds. There have been several since I posted this including a new HUD screen.

Yes the car gap button still works. As far as I know brand is carthree and they seem specialize in CarPlay/AA devices. There may be other places to buy it but I’d always stick with the protection of Amazon since dealing with Hansshow.

It came with two different cables. I have the intel. Single connector at the footwell and a single plug to the display.

Can’t help on additional photos but it’s plenty bright. On auto settings it keeps up with the Tesla screen and can get quite bright if adjusted manually.

It does AA as well. It connects easily to WiFi and downloads updates on its own in seconds. There have been several since I posted this including a new HUD screen.

Yes the car gap button still works. As far as I know brand is carthree and they seem specialize in CarPlay/AA devices. There may be other places to buy it but I’d always stick with the protection of Amazon since dealing with Hansshow.

It came with two different cables. I have the intel. Single connector at the footwell and a single plug to the display.

Can’t help on additional photos but it’s plenty bright. On auto settings it keeps up with the Tesla screen and can get quite bright if adjusted manually.

Thanks for the answers. Can I ask a couple more? Amazon no longer has it :-( It did find it on AliExpress and there are two different pictures of the UI. Does your do both of these? I am a little hesitant when I buy on their website as you sometimes don't get what is shown, that is why I am asking. One picture does show THREECAR right on the display but it is lacking from the other. And you said CARTHREE. Was that a typo OR is this seller maybe selling a knockoff?

Thanks again.

Attachments

• 2024-03-05 19_48_47-Window.jpg
    2024-03-05 19_48_47-Window.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 2024-03-05 19_48_57-Window.jpg
    2024-03-05 19_48_57-Window.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 22
It is CarThree and has those displays as options. The right scroll wheel switches between your choice of those and CarPlay/AA instantly which is nice. The seller on Amazon had been out of stock before but I’ve seen them restock. Can’t speak for what’s on Alie. And there’s a similar version without CarPlay/AA so be careful.

It is CarThree and has those displays as options. The right scroll wheel switches between your choice of those and CarPlay/AA instantly which is nice. The seller on Amazon had been out of stock before but I’ve seen them restock. Can’t speak for what’s on Alie. And there’s a similar version without CarPlay/AA so be careful.
Now that is really odd - CarThree vs THREECAR. Ha ha. Does it show CarThree on the front of your unit or only when it starts up? This might be a knockoff then. I might wait until Amazon shows them back in stock - . Can I ask how much they were?

Last edited: