Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 12V battery fail...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quite possibly a bad HV battery contactor. I received the same message along with the following:

Regenerative braking system disabled
Car needs service: car may not restart

I had 90K miles on our 11/13 built S85 when the message appeared. The SC also replaced the HVAC drain hose, drive unit (due to excessive noise), and 12V battery. I believe the latter was changed due to the HV battery contactors; the 12V battery seemed just fine and registered 12.7V the week before the warning message appeared. Good luck, a new battery pack is like winning the lottery these days.

I also saw the, " Car needs service: car may not restart" message as well as, "Parking assist is not available", possibly due to the front parking sensors being disconnected with the nosecone in the frunk? My drive unit doesn't seem noisy to me but I will ask about the 12V battery since it has been about 3 years since it was replaced.

Thanks for the insights.

Hi Guys,

New member here trying to buy my first Tesla. It's a used CPO.

Forgive the ignorance, but I don't understand the OP's concern here? I understand their poor inspection, but why are we suggesting him to get the battery on his own to replace? Wouldn't this be easily covered under the Tesla warranty?

Forgive me if this is an ignorant question. Good luck to the OP... I really sympathize!

Hi Guys,

New member here trying to buy my first Tesla. It's a used CPO.

Forgive the ignorance, but I don't understand the OP's concern here? I understand their poor inspection, but why are we suggesting him to get the battery on his own to replace? Wouldn't this be easily covered under the Tesla warranty?

Forgive me if this is an ignorant question. Good luck to the OP... I really sympathize!

He didn’t want to drive 150 miles to the service center. I don’t blame him. Mines only 50mi away and I fixed several small items on my own while under warranty because it took less time out of my day than taking it in. Time is money.

Reactions: ‘Merica
He didn’t want to drive 150 miles to the service center. I don’t blame him. Mines only 50mi away and I fixed several small items on my own while under warranty because it took less time out of my day than taking it in. Time is money.
Gotcha.. For me, unlike the OP I definitely have less money than time haha! Makes me feel better about my purchase... My service center is like 15 miles... 5 minutes from work... So I might be OK...