Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Glass Roof 2 Kayak Carry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Want to see who has good experience carrying 2 kayaks on top of a Model S with all glass roof.

I've carried one tandem kayak before with foam pads strapped directly on the roof (open windows) but some sort of Kayak carrier will J hooks will likely be necessary to carry 2. Do we know what type of roof rack is compatible with an all glass roof?

Have anyone done it before (and didn't break the roof?)

Want to see who has good experience carrying 2 kayaks on top of a Model S with all glass roof.

I've carried one tandem kayak before with foam pads strapped directly on the roof (open windows) but some sort of Kayak carrier will J hooks will likely be necessary to carry 2. Do we know what type of roof rack is compatible with an all glass roof?

Have anyone done it before (and didn't break the roof?)
I carry two kayaks on my 2020 MS LR with all glass roof. Use Seasucker Monkeybars with 2x Yakima J-lows. No problem and very secure.
32D7F185-85E8-4073-83C1-7E29F52B361E.jpeg

Ah, the sea suckers. Great idea.
How heavy are you kayaks? Not concerned about all the weight on the glass roof?
60lbs each. Weight is distributed across 6 suckers which fix towards the corners . Max load for the Tesla roof rack is 150lbs which is the same as the Seasucker rack so with both the kayaks loaded I remain within safe limits. Plus the weight is distributed more evenly by the Seasucker rack so I don’t see a problem.

Last edited:
True. The sea sucker actually spread out the weight over a larger area.
I have a older model S (Mar 2017) so need a retrofit to attach the roof rack. How does the stock roof rack for more recent model S like yours attaches on?
Clips attach under the edge of the glass I think. And you need to apply a thin plastic strip that stick on the glass under each pad which remains on the rack when removed. I want something that is easy to fit and remove and leaves no trace. Seasucker fits the bill for me and can be used on other vehicles as well.