Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S New Inventory windshield chip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was supposed to take delivery on a new 2018 Tesla MS . Delivery called and said windshield needs to be replaced due to chip damage during transportation. Any concerns with replacing windshield on a new car, how long would it take? Delivery could not give me a definite timeline. They will update me tomorrow.

Advice appreciated!

It should be ok. I just went through this, but it took several days. My saga started when I left my X100d at the airport for 11 days, of what turned out to be record (for Northern CA) low temps. I had noticed a small chip on the bottom of the windshield 3 days before my trip, and when I returned, there was a 30 inch crack running along the bottom. Initially, my Tesla SC in Rocklin made the appointment to replace it. Then emailed me back saying Tesla no longer fixes windshields, but try Safelite. Made an appointment with them, and 2 days later they called, saying they can't get the windshield from Tesla. Then I desperately called Tesla at Rocklin, and the nice man put me on hold for 10 minutes, then came back and said the Rocklin center found one in the back, and put my name on it. I arrived on a Friday morning at 8:30, and at 4 they hadn't started on it. The next day, Saturday, they started on it in the afternoon, but told me it needed to "season" for at least 24 hours. This ordeal finally ended on Monday, at 1 pm, and I started home, after 3 nights in a motel.

It at least has a happy ending--the new windshield is perfect. Just expect at least 2-3 days for the swap!

• Informative
Reactions: Denila
Not sure. According to the delivery guy, he said it was a tiny chip close to the edge and hence he wanted to change the windshield.

I took my delivery today in Devon, PA. Car looked great, new wind shield. Very happy customer!