Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Rear Seat "Flap" (Cover for Latch) No Longer Rotating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BillHenn

🚗 '21 Model S LR MSM/Blk/FSD (RN1144) placed 2/8
Feb 19, 2021
Cleveland, OH
Hello,

I have a late 2021 Model S Refresh and the rear seat "flap" that covers the latch hooks and normally rotates up and down a bit (rotate up to access latch hooks) is no longer rotating for one seat. It seems to be stuck in the "up" position. I tried pushing it back down but so far, it doesn't stay down. Has anyone run into this, and do you have any tips for me on how to get it back to normal where it can rotate again to its "down" position?

As a side note, I do occasionally rotate them up to tuck some anchor bars for a dog car seat cover underneath. But never had any issues until this week.

Not sure if this is your issue, but there should be a plastic locking piece in the center, under the flap when it is opened. It locks in place to keep the flap “open/up” but if you press firmly on that center locking piece, pushing it inwards, then it unlocks letting the flap close/rotate again.

Not sure if this is your issue, but there should be a plastic locking piece in the center, under the flap when it is opened. It locks in place to keep the flap “open/up” but if you press firmly on that center locking piece, pushing it inwards, then it unlocks letting the flap close/rotate again.
@Quantm99, yes I feel a plastic or metal hook kind of piece under the middle of the flap. But feeling around, I can't determine how it's supposed to fit in. The other rear seat's hook under the flap feels like it's sitting a little differently. But so far nothing I do gets it to work so that my "bad" seat will rotate down like the other one does freely.

The attached image shows how the flap is stuck in the "up" position.

Attachments

• IMG_7667.jpg
    IMG_7667.jpg
    517.3 KB · Views: 132
Hi
So this happened when I was playing around with the flap trying to install a car seat (NUNA Pipa LITE RX) the flap got stuck up as well. I just pushed it back down and it seems fine. But I was wondering if anyone knows about removing and reinstalling the flap. Main reason is it seems the car seat I'm trying to install won't reach the latch behind the flap. Watching YouTube videos, KimJava removed it in one of her videos, not sure if its meant to be removed and if anyone knows it can or shouldn't be removed.

She removed the flap at the 2 min 10 seconds mark.