Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S scroll wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the 2015 Model S 85D for a week and the left scroll wheel broke.

Set it up for Tesla to do the repair. They wanted $299 and change for replacing the whole assembly. The part is the "ASY, STEERING CONTROL SWITCH HARNESS". Part #: 1013242-00-J

If I am looking at this correctly, this is for both side switches and the harness between them.

They kept pushing the date back because they could not get the part. This meant it was not going to be fixed before our west coast trip. Tired of waiting so canceled the repair.

After the waiting, i started checking to see what the repair would entail. Couple of googletube videos and a search on Feebay later. I had the part I needed on its way. I actually ordered more than I needed since from the looks of it, this will not be the last time I replace the scroll wheels.

The scroll wheel swap was very simple and followed the videos I found to the letter.

So, $60 bucks instead of $300 and I am back to listening to music far too loud.

BR

I was mostly just trying to be funny.

The videos I referenced before can be found here:
Tesla scroll wheel FIX for 40$ !!
I could not find one for 30 or 40 bucks, but I found them.
Make sure you do a shutdown on the car before you mess with the steering wheel airbag.
This requires some wiggling to get the switch out but it is not too bad.
Tesla Mobile Tech | How to Replace Steering Wheel Controls on Model S & Model X
I think the ranger is working on an X, but it is the same. I did not take this whole assembly out just the side with the broken scroll wheel. However, this gives you a good view of how it fits together.

BR

Last edited:
Reactions: DavidB