Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 2017 not charging (ac or dc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

My model X 2017 is charging whenever wind blows from right direction and moon is at correct position. This is EU-version of the car so it has type 2 connector only. I need to use Teslas CCS2 adapter to charge at any dc fast charger. Charging usually works after car has been resting for longer period, like 10 hours. Once I finish charging it no longer works. DC charging works best but AC charging gets interrupted all the time. Whenever it is wet outside the problem goes really bad. Then after a werk or two of dry weather it improves a little.

Problem is CP signal according to the car. Most common error message is no error message at all, but often PLCRLY_a139_PilotFaulted. Sometimes some other message saying control pilot irrational or something similar.

Resets do nothing. Power off or unplugging usb devices does nothing. If I stay at supercharger the car may wait for 5-45 minutes before starting to actually charge. Any other dc fast chargers usually say cable is not connected to a car. Car says cable is connected but no power flowing.

Mobile technician visited me once and measured CP signal to the first connector and checked that PE to chassis is good. It was. He then asked his peers or checked some knowledge space for similar problems and they thought it is the onboard charger. Maybe it is. Tesla quoted me some thousands of euros for replacing it so I decided to dive into it myself first. 😁

I replaced charge port already as it was acting up anyway. No joy. Took the charging connector apart and found nothing special.
I replaced CP and PP wires going all the way to main charger connector, no change in behaviour. If I plug type 2 home charger in I can read 11,5V between PE and CP from car side. Plug outputs 11,75V. When connected all the way to main charger the voltage drops to 10,4V. Maybe it drops too low somehow?

Tesla service manuals are no help too. EU versions of older cars can get PLCRLY part installed to enable CCS adapter support and its wiring is not documented at all in wiring diagrams. I unwrapped lots of wiring loom to figure out actual connections.

I have spare main charger with blown main fuses I could try replacing and then install that to car. Any other help is much appreciated.

Can you get a charger with charge port still connected a 30 day return period. Stateside they are running $500-$750 usd. My thinking is this would rule out any issue with the charge port you installed. If the issue is not fixed it could be the new to charger is bad and it gets returned and you know the issue is probably not the charger or charge port.

I just had my charger replaced. I had cold weather charging issues it hasn’t been cold for me to see if that actually fixed anything. December will be here and I’ll find out.