Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DC and AC charging disconnected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. Tesla S 2013 (US). The problem is that when charging DC connections up to 50 kW via Chademo, after 10 or 20 minutes the charging disconnects and throws errors BMS_w035, BMS_w151, GTW_018. The car does not run and the 12V error GTW_w174 occurs. However, after some time the system recovered and I was able to drive. The error disappeared, only indicating that the 12V was weak. As it is now winter and cold, I had the impression that the system had disconnected during charging because some element had heated up, which cooled down after some time, and the system resumed after checking. After repeated DC charging and disconnection. I decided to charge with the AC connector. Charging almost succeeded to 80% and disconnected again with the same errors.
The service suggested me to replace the HV battery heater or the charging plate (I have two of them it seems). However, I have the impression that the 12V battery is to blame. Because the AC charging took 4 hours but the 12V has not recovered and is currently dead. I think the weather may have rusted the terminals or something, or the lifetime has expired and shortening is in progress. Could it be the wrong 12V causing AC or DC charging to stop?

I'd check the 12V battery.
I tried charging 12V from another car. The car came back to life, but the errors didn't go away and it kept saying that the 12V was too low and the system wouldn't reboot. The charging socket was not working. I will have to take the lift to the workshop.
Thank you for your comment. Definitely will be the first step to check 12V, update contacts, replace 12V. Because I didn't change it when I bought the car and I don't know when. I didn't think it was so deeply hidden :oops:...

Reactions: DerbyDave
035 n 151 is external isolation so most likely battery heater
its used during DC charging n common failure item
Getting same error during AC is weird... i do not think battery heater is used for AC...
So possible u have other isolation issue...