Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Long-Range Report: Denver to Dallas (About 900 miles) in 1 Day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I kept pushing it above 80 because the road was smooth and 78 felt like sitting still. the first step is admitting you have a problem...
Yes...I was quite dismayed at low autonomy of my P85DL when doing launches and ending up at "double the typical rural speed limit in many US locations". wHm rises quickly. But, the great feeling! BTW, a Lamborghini-driving fried regularly discusses range anxiety for his car.

Anyway I get 200 miles between charges driving at 75 mph or so. I'd like more range but not enough to change my car. :eek:

Reactions: JHawk
Model x is defiantly not a worthy family road trip vehicle yet, I say that only due to the limited range with wind, hills or winter temps and fully loaded with family and gear. My 3 and 5 year old kids don't want to stop every 1hr to 1:40 minutes.... for the x to be a real road trip worthy vehicle (for people in a hurry or on any sort of time schedule) it needs a true 350 mile range.

Model s is getting close, If they bunk the battery up we will be trading our x back in for another model S.

Model x is defiantly not a worthy family road trip vehicle yet, I say that only due to the limited range with wind, hills or winter temps and fully loaded with family and gear. My 3 and 5 year old kids don't want to stop every 1hr to 1:40 minutes.... for the x to be a real road trip worthy vehicle (for people in a hurry or on any sort of time schedule) it needs a true 350 mile range.

Model s is getting close, If they bunk the battery up we will be trading our x back in for another model S.
I’m not sure where you’re getting this feeling. I’ve been on at least ten road trips of 300+ miles (one way), with 4 kids (currently ages 8, 6, 4, 2), 2 adults, and often 1 (sometimes two) (small) dogs. Usually two hours between charging stops (typically driving 70-80mph), sometimes longer on more efficient routes. Sure it’s a bit more rigid than an ICE where my stops aren’t predetermined (though actually I’ve skipped charges unexpectedly a few times - actually we ended up stopping anyway at a non-charging location cause we needed to eat a meal and the kids wanted out). I would much rather road trip in the Model X than the Chrysler Aspen we used to have, even with its compromises.

Nice write up and follow up! I've been to the Ardmore SC - that's a very good restaurant that I can totally recommend to any travelers that way.

I've not driven to Colorado since I got my X. With an ICE car, we always went the 287 route through Amarillo, Raton, Pueblo, etc. as it is shorter. Does that route not have sufficient charging options? Wondering why you chose the Kansas Oklahoma route.

Nice write up and follow up! I've been to the Ardmore SC - that's a very good restaurant that I can totally recommend to any travelers that way.

I've not driven to Colorado since I got my X. With an ICE car, we always went the 287 route through Amarillo, Raton, Pueblo, etc. as it is shorter. Does that route not have sufficient charging options? Wondering why you chose the Kansas Oklahoma route.

The Amarillo option wasn’t available in May of 2016. Now there are super chargers on that path.

Reactions: Xcelerator
see attached

Your first problem is you using an S as your base car on evtriplanner -I have a s85d and it’s WH/mi is totally different than an X so you need to adjust that. Also speed multiplier is key.

In my 3 years of owning an S I’ve learned that after Tesla says it’s OK to go I wait 10 more mins or so (depending on charging rate and how full my battery is) for an approximately 20% pad...it has come in VERY handy. I typically drive about 80 not including passing.

I borrowed my Tesla store’s MXP100D with 22’s to do the same drive from DC to Erie and even with the larger battery pack I could NOT make it in just two stops like I did in the S, needed a short 3rd stop. (I know, the 22’s kill range too). If I slowed to 75 I think I could actually make it...but why bother!?!?!

Enjoy it - I am waiting for my MXP100D to arrive in a few weeks (just before Xmas) and will be taking it to Erie with 20” tires on it - hoping that will help me make it on two charges (as does my family)!

I concur, regardless of the stops, AP really does make the drive MUCH easier. I love my wife’s Audi Q5 diesel (800 miles per tank) but it is MUCH more stressful to drive w/o AP and with a “lag” on passing compared to my instant power!