Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y crossbar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m posting this to help others maximize their OEM tesla crossbars. Any comment or input is appreciated.

Background:
I have a MY with OEM crossbars. Over the last 20 years, I’ve accumulated a lot of Thule accessories. 50” 58” 70” square bars, 2 sets of hull a ports, get a grip oar holders, Frontier cargo box, Snow pack ski rack, prologue bike racks, hang 2 sup. I’ve been able to get mounts for my cars and utilize the square bars for all my accessories. Except the MY.

Tesla OEM crossbars:
The crossbars look great, but IMO they aren’t the most functional. The aerodynamic, teardrop shape profile, doesn’t allow to securely mount my legacy Thule accessories. The arc of the crossbars doesn’t allow bikes to sit upright. The crossbars are different lengths with the Front being 45.5” and the rear 42.5”. This difference makes the usable length of the front crossbar 42.5” as well.

What I want from a roof rack:
Make use of my Thule Frontier box. Day at beach, camping, more room for luggage
Transport things like an EZ Up shade canopy, 2x4s, conduit, pvc pipe
Snow board transportation with binding clearance.
Stand Up Paddle/surf board transportation.
Transport road bikes, maybe a mountain bikes
Use superchargers. Use of most SCers with hitch accessories difficult.
Easily removable.
Little to no maintenance.
Safe

What I don’t need from a roof rack:
Kayak transport. I have Hobie kayaks and they are heavy. I would use a trailer to transport.
E bike transportation. I use a Thule Easy Fold hitch rack
I don’t want to use the T slot because I would have to modify all my accessories.
Aesthetically pleasing. I use accessories when needed and promptly remove when finished. When in use, I don’t care how it looks, it needs to do a job
Anything on the crossbars will affect efficiency. This is a non issue for me. Again, any accessory is removed when not in use.

What others want from as read from previous posts:
Transport 4’x8’ plywood
Don’t want to scratch or gouge the OEM crossbars with use of the T slot
Transport 12’ boards
Transport 5 mountain bikes, 3 on the roof 2 on the hitch

Solutions from online:
Not many that are to my liking. Nothing from this forum, e trailer

My solution:

Use Yakima Universal Mighty Mounts with the Thule square bars, mount to the OEM crossbars. Basically stacking another set of crossbars on top of the OEM bars.

Issue to overcome:
When attached to the Square Bar, Yakima mount does not seat flush with OEM crossbar because of its arc.
Use square beveled washer to correct the arc in the OEM bars so the Yakima mount seats tightly.

Parts list:
Yakima Universal Mighty Mounts Amazon part #8003590
Thule square bar x 2
Thule Square bar clam Ride-On adapter x 4 E Trailer part #853-256
Rectangular washer for Ride-On adapter x 4 E trailer part #853-2154
¼ x 2” carriage bolt x 4
3/8 square beveled washer Malleable Iron x 4 Amazon 10 pack
5/16 x 2 ½” Hex bolt x 4
¼” Rubber spacer x 4
¼” Washer x 4
¼” lock washer x4
1/4 -20 hex nut x 4

Square neck of carriage bolt slightly larger than the square portion of square washer and ride on clamp. I made the square neck smaller using a file
Supplied Yakima hex bolts are to short (2”) or too long (3”) for this application
Use bail “B” for the Yakima mount
I could not find anything to correct offset the angle of the carriage bolt and Yakima mount. My solution is to use a rubber spacer. Suggestions?

IMG_2179.jpeg
IMG_2192.jpeg
IMG_2182.jpeg
IMG_2180.jpeg

Suggested improvements:

Omit the ride-on clamp adapters. Drill a hole through the square bar and use a bolt through the square bar and mighty mount. Downside is the mount placement is fixed on the bar.

Attachments

• IMG_2212.jpeg
    IMG_2212.jpeg
    217.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2204.jpeg
    IMG_2204.jpeg
    280 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2202.jpeg
    IMG_2202.jpeg
    279.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2196.jpeg
    IMG_2196.jpeg
    363 KB · Views: 52
I have used sea sucker’s monkey bars for a while and have no complaints. On and off in a minute, bikes, roof box, material.
Oddly enough, I just used one of the cups to pull out a dent in the 1/4 panel. They’re handy.

Hey there,

Navigating the world of roof racks can be a puzzle, but it looks like you've put together a pretty ingenious solution. Here are some thoughts and a few recommendations:

1. Rubber Spacer Solution:Using rubber spacers to correct the offset angle between the carriage bolt and Yakima mount is a practical solution. It provides flexibility and absorption, especially when dealing with different arcs.

2. Additional Considerations:

• Ensure that the added height from the Yakima Universal Mighty Mounts doesn't interfere with any clearance, especially when mounting larger items like the Thule Frontier box.
  • Periodically check the stability of the setup, especially before embarking on longer journeys or carrying heavier loads.
3. TESERY Accessories:While you're optimizing your Tesla, don't forget the interior. TESERY offers custom-fit floor mats that could add a touch of style and protection to your Model Y's interior. Check them out here: Tesla Model Y Accessories.

4. Forum Input:Consider sharing your setup on Tesla forums or communities. Your experience and solution could be valuable for others facing similar challenges.

Remember, safety first, and your meticulous planning seems to cover that base well. Enjoy your upgraded Model Y and the adventures it brings!

• Disagree
Reactions: ngng
works great with snowboards bindings down. There’s about an inch of room. So far I’ve used these crossbars with a roof box up and down California with no issues. Happy that I can make the MY really useful.

Attachments

• IMG_2586.jpeg
    IMG_2586.jpeg
    379.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2585.jpeg
    IMG_2585.jpeg
    462.9 KB · Views: 30