Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Rim Repair - 20" induction wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model Y with the black 20" induction wheels. They look fantastic, but unfortunately I drove too close to the curb and put a big scrape on it. One repair shop says they will repair with power coat and the other with paint. Both claim that's what the factory uses. Any thoughts on which might be better for repair between powder coat or paint?

I am quite happy with this. If you kneel down right in front of the wheel, you could tell its not as smooth, otherwise not noticeable.

The abrasive tip evens out the surface and the paint matches the rest of the wheel. Worth a try.

After applying, let it settle for a couple of weeks, for the final "blend in" result.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HE68ESI?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Reactions: everydaychris
I used this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CT4AQQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Light sanding with high grit sandpaper just to smooth out the big ridges. And then spray a couple coats of this. It blends in really nicely. The sharpie method works, but the spray works great. Use this as a touch-up method until it's so bad that you need to call a pro. In my experience, a small touch up and a larger refinish is roughly the same price.

I actually used a Magic Marker on my Tesla Y black wheels. Looks nice, unless you're looking closely. Although everydaychris may have had his tongue in cheek, I think it makes a lot of sense to do temporary repairs. Inevitably these wheels will get scraped. I'm thinking of taking the car to a wheel guy to do multiple repairs at the same time.

I have a Model Y with the black 20" induction wheels. They look fantastic, but unfortunately I drove too close to the curb and put a big scrape on it. One repair shop says they will repair with power coat and the other with paint. Both claim that's what the factory uses. Any thoughts on which might be better for repair between powder coat or paint?

I ran into a similar issue on 2 tires of my Model Y... disappointed... but, does anyone know if Tesla can fix it for some cost? Alternatively, does anyone know what would be the cost of each 20" Induction wheel? If I do, I may replace 2 wheels. Thanks.

Dupli-Color High Performance Wheel Coating in Satin Black

Attachments

• 20240329_170749.jpg
    20240329_170749.jpg
    771.7 KB · Views: 13