Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y trailer towing results

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not posting this as a "hurrah" moment or anything else, just as a data point reference for anyone with similar needs who may not have results yet.
Today, after nearly two years of Model Y ownership, I finally got around to towing my trailer. I had no doubt about the car but had no reference about efficiency other than "probably <whatever> % loss".
My trailer is a 7'x5' and weights ~300kg unladen. I can run it in several configurations, either uncovered (obviously!), covered half height or twice the height and covered.
I know from pulling it with a previous tow car, the higher configuration has the aerodynamics of a garden shed so I thought i'd go for half height today, figuring that the car might move some air away. Without the cover, it would be a better flow through the trailer mesh but then would the lower blank part of the tailgate be a wind damn? (haven't tried that one yet)
Anyway, just for data reference:-
138 miles, 54.3 kWh
Efficiency of 392Wh against my overall average of 270Wh.
This was a mix of driving and speed limits adhered to.
Best part was charging it up for 0 and negative the other day with a small top off this morning to 97%. Now it's sitting at 27% with Tuesday forcast as a good day on Octopus Agile for a charge again. :)

Attachments

• 20240630_073120.jpg
    20240630_073120.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2