Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model3 repairs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
have owned 6 tesla since 2012. Had my first drive unit failure on a model3 dual drive rear motor. The car is 11 months old with 6500 miles on it. Tesla replaced it in 2 days with rebuilt drive unit. I was surprised they used rebuilt part and did not extend warranty. I have no idea why the replacement part originally failed or how likely it is to fail again. Did the replacement drive unit have 5000 miles or 60,000 miles on it with original owner? When my new car warranty is up will it be more likely to fail at 6 years if it had the 60,000 miles on it before I got it? Yes I know drive units are said to last 500,000 miles but ours was clearly an example of one that didn’t. If your ICE car engine blew on a one year old car would the OEM replace it with a rebuilt engine with unknown mileage on it? They said they had no idea why it failed which makes me wonder if there is something in car predisposing it to fail. I wonder about this issue because I had heard of unusual modelS cars with multiple drive failures. I used 60,000 miles as an example but given rebuilt drive units had previously failed, it would be more likely from drives with heavy use or perhaps abuse. Is it acceptable to use used parts in warranty repairs without extending warranty on those parts?

Admittedly, a slight deviation from the thread title;

My brother owns a (high end D & P) 3 year old S. Today he told me he will sell it before the warranty expires in less than a yesr.
He said after noticing a distinct new sound in the front end, he took it to a Tesla SC and the front-end was replaced under warranty.
He said to shed weight, many of the components are aluminum, and they are just not holding up.

QUESTION:
Is the Model 3's front end patterned after the S and made of aluminum?

Have there been any serious failures in the Model 3 front end?

BTW, my brother loves the S, and said if Tesla offers an extended warranty he will keep it, but the work performed would have cost around $9k if it had not been under warranty.

Admittedly, a slight deviation from the thread title;

My brother owns a (high end D & P) 3 year old S. Today he told me he will sell it before the warranty expires in less than a yesr.
He said after noticing a distinct new sound in the front end, he took it to a Tesla SC and the front-end was replaced under warranty.
He said to shed weight, many of the components are aluminum, and they are just not holding up.

QUESTION:
Is the Model 3's front end patterned after the S and made of aluminum?

Have there been any serious failures in the Model 3 front end?

BTW, my brother loves the S, and said if Tesla offers an extended warranty he will keep it, but the work performed would have cost around $9k if it had not been under warranty.
As I understand it, Tesla already offers an extended warranty (or service/maintenance plan) on the S. Also, there is a company that has posted several times in the 3 forum that offers a third-party extended warranty which I think also can be purchased for the S (I can't recall the name right now, but a search for warranty should find it).

• Helpful
Reactions: Stirfelt
I too have this same worry...

Mine is in the SC now awaiting a replacement for the drive unit....

Is it a new one or rebuilt? Will it be warrantied?

It's probably a used one.... rebuilt.... Been waiting for it to be delivered to the SC (it will be 12 days from the date they ordered to the date of delivery to the SC).

Car has 21k miles on it.... That means if they don't warranty the motor, I will only get 79k or 7 years....

Guess time will tell...

• Informative
Reactions: Stirfelt