Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MORE POWER

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TEG,

Thank You for taking the time to clarify my points.

As an example if there is a 200Kwh electric motor, I would need to have 200Kmh hour coming from the battery pack. If the pack only stores 50Kwh at a 1C rating, then I would need a 4C rating on the batteries to reach 200Kwh.

If I would run the batteries at 2C the motor would put out 100Kmh and all the variables in between from 0 to 200Kwh.

Power wise probably not that noticeable in a car, since you are not going flat out constantly, even if the battery lose some voltage especially in a "commuter" application it would not be a big deal.

The battery pack is designed for a particular power output, for a specific application.

AGR said:
As an example if there is a 200Kwh electric motor, I would need to have 200Kwh hour coming from the battery pack.

Yes, you have to be able to deliver enough current from the batteries if you want to run the motor at max power output.

If the pack only stores 50Kwh at a 1C rating,
The amount stored isn't related to the "C" rating. The C rating says how fast you can get current out of it.
You can have a 50kWh pack that can only deliver 1C max, then the best you can do is get 50kW out of it for an hour.

then I would need a 4C rating on the batteries to reach 200Kwh.
Yes, if the 50kWh pack can extract current at 4C, then you could use a bigger motor and run it at 200kW for 15 minutes.

If I would run the batteries at 2C the motor would put out 100Kmh and all the variables in between from 0 to 200Kwh.
If I understand what you said - yes - with 4C capable batteries, you could still extract only half of max current (2C) and run the motor at 100kW.
Typically you don't need full power all the time. Just humming along in city traffic you might only be using 1/2C (25kW).

The battery pack is designed for a particular power output, for a specific application.
Yes! I think the ESS and the eMotor are basically a "matched set".

Last edited: