Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My trunk has a mind of its own - opens randomly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its been for a while since you reported but how was this at the end fixed? Since today I have the exact same problem on my new model X
It's been a while but I think a cold reboot helped. Then a software update a few days later completely eliminated the problem. We still have the car and it's never happened since. It was not an electrical problem and we never had to take it to Tesla Service.

Last edited:
This is now happening on my 2023 Model Y. It has also happened in the past on my 2015 Model S. For the Model S, a software update at some point seemed to fix the issue. It hasn't occurred on the Model S in over six months. Brought home the Model Y December 5, just started - once in Feb and another just a few minutes ago. Home location is set, Sentry Mode off in the garage. My biggest concern is that if I don't pull in quite far enough, it could open and hit the closed garage door and damage the lift gate.

I have had my Model 3 for six years. This just started happening to me three days ago. The trunk unlatches (but does not pop open) randomly 20-30 times a day, when the car is locked and parked, when I am driving in it, just after I have exited the car and closed the trunk and at other completely random times. It is driving me nuts because I keep on getting the warning beep when driving but there is nothing I can do about it. It unlatches of its own accord. And I am not inadvertently clicking on the Tesla app on my phone as the phone is resting in the phone charging station when driving and sometimes it is even off. It seems like an electrical malfunction. I have scheduled service but that is a week away. I don't know if I can stand the warning beeps while driving for another week. And now I can't store anything valuable in my trunk.

I have had my Model 3 for six years. This just started happening to me three days ago. The trunk unlatches (but does not pop open) randomly 20-30 times a day, when the car is locked and parked, when I am driving in it, just after I have exited the car and closed the trunk and at other completely random times. It is driving me nuts because I keep on getting the warning beep when driving but there is nothing I can do about it. It unlatches of its own accord. And I am not inadvertently clicking on the Tesla app on my phone as the phone is resting in the phone charging station when driving and sometimes it is even off. It seems like an electrical malfunction. I have scheduled service but that is a week away. I don't know if I can stand the warning beeps while driving for another week. And now I can't store anything valuable in my trunk.
Have you tried a cold reboot?