Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP needs steering rack with only 74,000 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought a used 2020 MYP, two weeks ago, "as is" with 72,670 miles from a used car dealer here in the Las Vegas area that sells primarily Teslas. On a road trip the next day, I noticed a steering issue and now the car is at the Tesla dealership/service center needing a steering rack with a whopping estimate of $4301. I talked to a lemon law attorney and apparently I have no recourse with the used car dealer because I purchased the vehicle as is.

Help! Is there anything I can do??? Will Tesla do a "Goodwill" repair?

Btw. A steering rack can be reconditioned at relatively little cost. My mechanics operate a "replace with exchange unit" on Toyotas (at twice the milage). Cost nothing like your 7k quote.

Given how quickly Tesla ones die I expect someone in your town is doing that for Teslas. Might cost a bit more on labour getting a Tesla one out and back in but not too much.

I am pretty sure you would still get some limited warranty from the reconditioners. If T won't arrange supply you could do it yourself and tell.them you want the old one back. Or find a garage that will do it.

Check the warranty. It's somewhere in the infinite onboard menus. Hit warranty in the search box and it should pop up.

Afaik the warranties fully transfers to next owner(s). Not sure if steering rack is covered at your miles but could well be.
It isnt, as the warranty is 4 years, 50k miles, for everything except the HV battery and the drive unit (at least in the US).

• Informative
Reactions: QtownTaxiGreg