Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation not accurate after update with 2022.40.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife's 2020 M3 SR+ is off/inaccurate after installing 2022.40.4 version. The back of our house(in yellow dot) is a large parking lot of a church separated by a tall fence. Normally it shows the right way/street front to our home (in red drawn line). But now , in blue navigation line, it keeps telling us go to the back and in parking lot as if our house is located more in the parking lot. This was never the case with any navigation systems, Google or Apple , etc. my MX navigation is normal also.
Anyone has any idea or has the same issue?

Attachments

• 8A96C3EF-7637-435F-A925-C26BA5B22436.jpeg
    8A96C3EF-7637-435F-A925-C26BA5B22436.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 139
My wife's 2020 M3 SR+ is off/inaccurate after installing 2022.40.4 version. The back of our house(in yellow dot) is a large parking lot of a church separated by a tall fence. Normally it shows the right way/street front to our home (in red drawn line). But now , in blue navigation line, it keeps telling us go to the back and in parking lot as if our house is located more in the parking lot. This was never the case with any navigation systems, Google or Apple , etc. my MX navigation is normal also.
Anyone has any idea or has the same issue?
I did reboot the system also but still the same

Upvote 0
Update: brought in SC today and had to fight a little bit to get something done and finally got fixed by firmware reinstall. See pics

Attachments

• 52DFC9E5-F231-4393-BAAE-4C1699E9ACE5.jpeg
    52DFC9E5-F231-4393-BAAE-4C1699E9ACE5.jpeg
    204.1 KB · Views: 374
  • BF79FCF6-C61C-46EC-AD30-0B3BF395620C.jpeg
    BF79FCF6-C61C-46EC-AD30-0B3BF395620C.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 80
Upvote 0
Interesting. Perhaps this car has flakey GPS hardware that forgets its programming a while after a software update. Or maybe the saved Home location isn't quite right, having been recorded when the GPS hardware was out of kilter.

Since your MX doesn't have this problem, it's more likely to be due to the GPS hardware, the state of the GPS hardware, or the

Some suggestions to help narrow down the problem:
  • Test navigating home by typing in the destination address.
  • Test navigating home by typing in the GPS coordinates of your driveway. This Google page Discover coordinates or search by latitude & longitude - Computer - Google Maps Help has instructions to get GPS coordinates in Google Maps on computer web, Android, and iPhone. In short, long-press on the map to drop a red marker on an unmarked place, then copy the location from the info box, like 40.5892902, -122.3778362
  • Then try a deeper reset of the car, then test navigating home. For instructions, see "Power Cycling" in the Tesla Owner's Manual. (I think changing the UI language or the wheel size and back will also do a deep reset.)
  • Test resetting the car's Home location, then navigating home. Maybe the previously saved location was a bit off in the direction of the parking lot.
Nowadays we end up debugging our tech products. (Currently I'm trying to figure out why my MacBook Pro sleeps hot when it's connected to the external monitor. At least, it's cool if I disconnect the monitor before putting it to sleep.)

Upvote 0
Interesting. Perhaps this car has flakey GPS hardware that forgets its programming a while after a software update. Or maybe the saved Home location isn't quite right, having been recorded when the GPS hardware was out of kilter.

Since your MX doesn't have this problem, it's more likely to be due to the GPS hardware, the state of the GPS hardware, or the

Some suggestions to help narrow down the problem:
  • Test navigating home by typing in the destination address.
  • Test navigating home by typing in the GPS coordinates of your driveway. This Google page Discover coordinates or search by latitude & longitude - Computer - Google Maps Help has instructions to get GPS coordinates in Google Maps on computer web, Android, and iPhone. In short, long-press on the map to drop a red marker on an unmarked place, then copy the location from the info box, like 40.5892902, -122.3778362
  • Then try a deeper reset of the car, then test navigating home. For instructions, see "Power Cycling" in the Tesla Owner's Manual. (I think changing the UI language or the wheel size and back will also do a deep reset.)
  • Test resetting the car's Home location, then navigating home. Maybe the previously saved location was a bit off in the direction of the parking lot.
Nowadays we end up debugging our tech products. (Currently I'm trying to figure out why my MacBook Pro sleeps hot when it's connected to the external monitor. At least, it's cool if I disconnect the monitor before putting it to sleep.)
I tried different things. Deleted home setting. Entered same home address manually in navigation destination.
The problem isn't limited to my home address. It's also to my wife's work address also which was never like that before the update.

Upvote 0
With the latest 40.4.1, some of my favorites (including Home), lost the house numbers but retained the street names - I had to reenter some of the favorites to add back the number. For some of the "recents", the pin location changed slightly. Still technically accurate but they did move slightly at the same location - this is on large structures.

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer
Upvote 0
So tonight on the way home from downtown, I hit my "home" button which had the issues mentioned above previously. It has been working fine last few days. However, tonight it showed the correct address but put my home on the next street over. If I put a pin on my actual house, it showed the correct street address. So I did a reboot and now it shows my house three houses down but on the correct street. Will play more tomorrow.

So this latest update definitely buggered the GPS in my car.

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer
Upvote 0