TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Need advise for choosing battery for an EV

Discussion in 'Battery Discussion' started by pravsaieen, Sep 21, 2016.

1. pravsaieen

pravsaieen New Member

Hi,

I am planning to electrify my scooter with a 3600W motor which requires a maximum of 100A continuous current, 150A peak. With so many types of cells around i need advice on the type of cell packaging i should choose ( Cylindrical / Prismatic / Pouch) and which chemistry would be most suitable in Li-ion ( NCA/NMC/LFP/LMO) for an electric vehicle. Cost and safety being utmost priorities i have calculated around 800Wh pack would be enough initially - As if I need more range later i could parallel the packs. But the variety of cells and chemistry confuses me to arrive at a decision.

2. miimura

miimura Active Member

If you want to use a 3,600W motor and a 800Wh pack, you need to use cells that can safely discharge at 4C. Paralleling more packs not only increases your range, but it also reduces the C-rate that each cell will have to deliver.

3. pravsaieen

pravsaieen New Member

Thanks for your response. Could you suggest any cell that would suit this ? And will thermal management be necessary ?