Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need some insight on recent Chrome Delete Work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi wonderful Tesla community. Thanks to many of you, I am now a proud owner of a used 2019 Raven MS. So far, minor hiccups but overall good experience. I recently got a chrome delete job done but I'm a little disappointed at the quality of work. I am known to be OCD/nit picky, though, so I'm unsure if this is normal/expected or if it's actually subpar work. I'd like to know from those who have done chrome delete if this is the expected experience.

It's less noticable in photos but somewhat more noticable in real life. I picked up during the middle of work so I didn't notice until I got back to the office and I stepped back out to take a closer look once I had some down time, but even then I didn't have a whole lot of time so I only took a few quick photos. The ones I have are mostly minor (but noticable if you're paying attention) but the big one that surprised me are the door handle insides being chrome. I've attached some photos with notes for reference.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

IMG_20230309_152909.jpg

IMG_20230309_152914.jpg

IMG_20230309_153001.jpg

IMG_20230309_153109.jpg

IMG_20230309_153143.jpg

I doubt you'll get a unanimous consensus on this, but I actually see two categories of issues.

First I'll put in the bucket of general attention to detail. Those are the cases of the edges for mirror, edge of grill, and door sill. Some wouldn't even notice, say that's totally normal and to be expected, and say quite being so obsessive. Others would view these a major quality flaws and say you should demand they be fixed. How your installer responds likely is also a function of your relationship with them and how much you paid a budget basement price versus more high end premium price.

Now the door handle I think really gets into what was discussed, what I'll call a partial wrap versus more a surface wrap. I think what really matters here is what you discussed with the shop ahead of time and which variation they included in your quote/price. If this wasn't discussed, then you may find you're unfortunately in the abyss of what you had assumed versus what they assumed in their quote. It's like questioning why you didn't get salad and fries with your burger when you order was "I'll take the burger" with neither you or the server confirming whether you wanted just the sandwich or the meal option.

Just my two cents. As I said, I expect you'll likely get others provide different views, but that's why I stated upfront I doubt you'll get a unanimous consensus on your question.

Reactions: Lyrical
I appreciate your thoughts. I suppose you're right and that there will be two schools of thought on this. I guess I'm in the latter where I expected it to be better and will reach out to the vendor to see what we can do.

I also agree there was probably a disconnect (regarding your second point) and being a first timer with Chrome Delete, I merely assumed "all chrome pieces" naturally meant the entirety of the the piece, but it was never discussed in detail so I guess I can't fault the vendor per se, though, being an established and highly rated business, I would have hoped they would've then taken the initiative to educate me knowing that I was new to this.

In any case, I am reaching out and I think we can probably find a happy medium. Your comment definitely gave me some clarity so, again, I appreciate it!