Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need to have a 2nd charger at home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jr_gn

Supporting Member
Feb 1, 2023
Bruges, Belgium
... I mean: is it a "must have" or a "nice to have" to have a charger in the garage and at the same time on the driveway. I work from a home office, so I go up and down quite a lot in one day, and I can imagine not having to park the car inside, but be able to leave in front of the house while topping up around noon (solarpanels!) could be a perk. But is it worth it?

I don’t understand why you need a second charger outside? Why not just park into the garage to charge?

Well the garage is 30 meters away from the home. Sometimes it's a hassle to park in the garage, because the garage is used to store gardening tools, or when the car is in the garage, the access to the attick of the garage is not available, etc etc. And as said sometimes I am home for an hour or so over noon, and leave for another client visit in the afternoon. So it would be handy to just park the car in front and hook it up to the charger. At noon = sun is high = solarpower, ...

Well the garage is 30 meters away from the home. Sometimes it's a hassle to park in the garage, because the garage is used to store gardening tools, or when the car is in the garage, the access to the attick of the garage is not available, etc etc. And as said sometimes I am home for an hour or so over noon, and leave for another client visit in the afternoon. So it would be handy to just park the car in front and hook it up to the charger. At noon = sun is high = solarpower, ...
Ah I see, the garage is detached. Well I mean if it will be a relatively cheap/easy job to add then why not. But if it’s going to cost thousands to put one in then probably not worth it if you can already make it the the whole day without a mid day charge.

Plus if you have solar you ideally should already have net metering with your power company and/or battery storage, so when you actually use the power should not make a huge difference.