Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 13 S 85 owner, not sure what drive sounds are "normal"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently purchased a 2013 Model S 85 from a local 3rd party dealership a couple months ago that, by some sort of wizardry, still has a "New Vehicle Warranty" until Jan. 2024 / 76,290mi. (Confirmed this with Tesla, too.) Because of this, I've been doing what I can to get as much serviced as possible.

In my 1k-ish miles of driving, I've noticed a few noises while driving. Being a brand new Tesla owner, I'm not sure what should or shouldn't be alarming, aside from the obvious MCU failure issue.

The first is a moderately loud knocking sound coming from what seems to be the front left wheel well when the suspension raises from Standard to High/Very High, most often while the car is stopped, and sometimes going over bumps. I'm assuming this is a service item to have the suspension looked at.

Second, there is a near-headache-inducing hum when going around freeway speeds. (And by that, I mean California freeway speeds..) The hum comes from the rear of the vehicle and is so loud that music typically has to be turned up to 8 or 9+ to start drowning it out. I brought this up to the SC when I went in to fix my screen yellowing and they claimed it was normal based on how I was wording it, but I personally call BS, as my ICE vehicle gets nowhere near this loud, ever. It honestly sounds like an ICE were to be revving around the redline, but it is constant, as long as my foot is on the gas. As soon as I let off, the sound goes away immediately.

The third is less minor, but still happens while the car is starting up for about 5-10 minutes or until my brain tunes it out. It's a slight hum/fan bearing noise behind the driver-side console. It is present with the A/C off and on, and doesn't change when starting to drive. It sounds somewhat like a fan with a bad bearing, but that's just a hunch.

Any help is appreciated!

1. U might have something bent. Mine is quiet. Mine raises everytime I go out of my house.
2. Rear hum is the gear box going bad. Mine went out March 2019. That's BS. I can hear zero from my rear . Mine made a slight whining noise the week before it exploded. It's so quiet now, it freaks out new passengers .
3. There is a coolant pump on upper left side in the frunk. I seem to remember the AC blower is on right side behind glove box.
Your service center seems not to be customer oriented.

Your service center seems not to be customer oriented.

Yeah, that's seeming to be more and more common as of late. This was the Rocklin, CA SC. It seemed they were trying to get out of as much service as possible. I went in originally for screen yellowing (which the machine to fix it there broke the day before my appointment...), mileage concerns, possible signs of eMMC failure, that loud motor sound, and a rattle that was clearly coming from the back in the trunk. They ended up dismissing the mileage worry by running the quick log diagnostic, said the screen on the MCU wasn't stuck now so it isn't an issue, said the loudness was normal and is likely coming from the battery cooling fans (what???), and they took apart not the trunk, but the roof crossbar, insulated it, and said that was the source of the rattle. Took it back on the freeway right after the appointment and waddya know, the rattle is still there, coming from the back of the trunk, and NONE of my other issues were resolved either...

I set up another appointment at the Dublin, CA SC, hoping my experience would be better for the yellowing fix and eMMC concerns. Get a text from one of the techs and they stated they cleared the cache and updated the firmware, then asked me the same day if the issue was still present (when I stated it was intermittent, as the warning signs are), and claimed the problem was solved. I still have the appointment just because it almost feels valuable to keep close appointments, but now thinking I'm not going to get much from them either. I haven't mentioned the issues in the original post yet, but I'm now thinking they won't really give it the time of day.

It's frustrating going somewhere to get service and they really just don't listen to what you're describing and brush it off as normal.