Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New car smell - help me chart it

New car smell in my Model 3? See below for details on this.

• I love it

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • I don’t mind it

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Makes me mildly icky: dizyness, headache

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gives me an allergy-like reaction

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note: Request for reply with details below

This is related to an earlier post I’ve made about an allergy-like reaction I’m having to my Model 3s interior materials. The TMC community has been amazing in helping to track down solutions and It appears that there are a few other users in this community that have had issues.

Maybe this is all due to the Model 3 being so fresh off the line or maybe it’s the vegan leather. Maybe it’s the wood dash. Some users report new car smell dropping off very quickly and then others talk about months.

I thought I would try an experiment to try and understand the range of reports (which I hope will inform a fix). If you have a minute, please reply.

If I get enough answe rs I’ll post a chart. Might be interesting.

1. Config, month, year
2. Strength of current new car smell 1 to 5, where 5 is factory fresh and 1 is completely gone
3. Dark or light interior
4. Number of miles driven (apparently more driving affects outgsssing speed)

Bonus poll: curious to see what % of owners are negatively affected (I’m expecting a very small group)

Last edited:
1. Config, month, year
2019 FEB LR RWD

2. Strength of current new car smell 1 to 5, where 5 is factory fresh and 1 is completely gone

Dark

4. Number of miles driven (apparently more driving affects outgsssing speed)

1048 miles

New1. Config, month, year
2018 SEP LR AWD

Dark

4. Number of mile

I will say that I’ve made the smell last considerably longer by practicing a few rules. 1. Absolutely no food in the car. All food goes in frunk. Drinks are okay. 2. I try to keep my windows up as much as possible. I know. It’s a bit OCD. I can accept that. I paid about 93k out the door and put another 7k into it after. I want to keep it new as long as possible. 3. I tell my wife not to wear strong perfumes, lol. I mean, I wear Polo and Creed and those are pretty strong but my wife has some crap that is way more overpowering. Listen, I jest about some of this but truly these rules will help preserve it. Don’t bother buying any new car smell stuff. It will never smell as good as the first time.

Last edited: