Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Jersey Home Charging Installation Tech Reco

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey my fellow tesla jersey peeps, looking for someone you may recommend to install a charging station at home for my tesla that's inbound by 08/12. I live in Bergen County, so anyone near these parts would probably be best. If you have pics of the install even better. My neighbor has a Rube Goldberg looking install, as much as I love both my neighbor and Mr. Goldberg, I'd rather have a clean install. thanks in advance.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
Electrical Services in Marlboro, NJ | Sure Electric LLC

I used Sure Electric. They are in Marlboro, NJ but they came to where I live in Bergen County, Northern NJ. Very good work, clean and professional. Great communication and very good pricing. The estimate is done remotely by having you take various pics so they know what the scope of the work entails. No surprises. Pics are of the place you need EVSE installed, pics of the fuse box, etc. Answer a few questions and you’re all set. They made it very easy. I highly recommend them. I had other electricians come that were more local but their prices weren’t as good. Sure Electric has great reviews and took care of the permitting if needed and the inspection. Hopefully this helps. Check them out.

Attachments

• 8538C9C8-C698-4C17-8182-74A6C2FFCC75.jpeg
    8538C9C8-C698-4C17-8182-74A6C2FFCC75.jpeg
    613.5 KB · Views: 131
Reactions: SpicyPaneer

I used Sure Electric. They are in Marlboro, NJ but they came to where I live in Bergen County, Northern NJ. Very good work, clean and professional. Great communication and very good pricing. The estimate is done remotely by having you take various pics so they know what the scope of the work entails. No surprises. Pics are of the place you need EVSE installed, pics of the fuse box, etc. Answer a few questions and you’re all set. They made it very easy. I highly recommend them. I had other electricians come that were more local but their prices weren’t as good. Sure Electric has great reviews and took care of the permitting if needed and the inspection. Hopefully this helps. Check them out.
Thanks a million. Will call them tomorrow. One more question. Did they provide that charger you have? Just asking because it doesn’t seem like the Tesla one! Thanks

Thanks a million. Will call them tomorrow. One more question. Did they provide that charger you have? Just asking because it doesn’t seem like the Tesla one! Thanks
No. I bought it on Amazon. It’s a ChargePoint HomeFlex. It’s a great EVSE. Highly recommended and well reviewed. I had it installed before the Tesla when I had a Toyota Prius Prime Which is a plug-in Hybrid. Feel free to reach out via PM if you have any other questions or want advice. We might be pretty close to each other if we are both in Bergen County. I‘ve had the Tesla LR MY since September 2020. I love it.

If that doesn’t work out you can try Mr Electric in Ramsey. They did my install and they did a perfect job. Tough install too as my panel was maxed out and it was in by basement in the opposite side of where the garage is.

I had Sure Electric come by today and they quoted me a significantly higher price than any other quote I have. Plus I had to pay them $150 just to have them look over the situation. Disappointed.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
That wasn’t my experience at all. They never had to come to my house. They had me take some pictures of my electrical box, my availability of room in the box, the distance from the box to where I needed the charger installed, the place in my driveway where the charger would be installed. It was easy and I got a free estimate based on that. Maybe they charge if they need to come for an at home estimate? Maybe if you hired them that fee would be applied to your work? There quote was the “lowest“ of 3 other local electricians by $100 - $150. They showed up on time. They’d did the work professio ally and safely and clean. I couldn‘t have been happier. I don’t understand how our experiences could be so different. I’m sorry.

Glad they worked out for you. They did not give me the option to send pictures - they mandated the home visit. Their quote was more than $500 over all the other quotes I have. The $150 fee would be applied to the work if I selected them. Not sure where you live, but we often feel we are charged more by contractors simply because Ridgewood is a fairly affluent town.

Glad they worked out for you. They did not give me the option to send pictures - they mandated the home visit. Their quote was more than $500 over all the other quotes I have. The $150 fee would be applied to the work if I selected them. Not sure where you live, but we often feel we are charged more by contractors simply because Ridgewood is a fairly affluent town.
Plus there’s the Tesla tax as well. We are in Rutherford. The Ridgewood of Southern Bergen County. LOL. $500 is a lot. Maybe your setup is more complicated? That’s a crazy amount more. My entire install with the $150 permit fee was under $700. I bought the EVSE from Amazon for $699. Who‘d you end up going with?

Plus there’s the Tesla tax as well. We are in Rutherford. The Ridgewood of Southern Bergen County. LOL. $500 is a lot. Maybe your setup is more complicated? That’s a crazy amount more. My entire install with the $150 permit fee was under $700. I bought the EVSE from Amazon for $699. Who‘d you end up going with?
Looks like Sure Electric became aware of my post yesterday and they sent me an e-mail to explain their pricing and to offer to refund the $150 sight visit fee. Nice gesture and very professional. However, I spoke with another electrician yesterday and after I spent 20 minutes explaining the install to him he said he could do it for $900 to $1400 - depending on what he sees when he gets here. Sure Electric quoted $2,800. To be clear, I have another quote for $3,800 and they specified 12 gauge wire for the install!? So Sure Electric is certainly within the range of some of the others. And, again, they are very professional and knowledgeable - I am not saying you should not get a quote from them.

I don't think my install is complicated - just a fair amount of materials needed:
  • New 50amp breaker in panel in the house
  • About 30' of new wire (6 or 8 AWG) from the basement (drop ceiling) to the LB exiting the house
  • About 70' of new wire running from the house to garage through existing 3/4" conduit
  • New sub-panel in garage with 20 amp breaker for garage lights and doors and 30 or 40 amp breaker for car charging
  • New outlet in garage for car
  • 8' ground rod for sub-panel (I think)
I just did a similar install at another house with 75' of cable and the materials cost us about $550. I had an electrical engineer friend guide the labor, so no cost for that. I know copper wire is expensive right now, but...

What really is interesting is how all these licensed electricians have different opinions of what is code. Some say a ground rod is required for the sub panel, others say no. Some say 6 gauge wire will fit in the 3/4" conduit, others say no way. As mentioned above, one specified 12 gauge wire for a 50 amp outlet! (perhaps a typo). Some specified a NEMA 14-50 outlet and others say no more than 14-30. Fortunately my electrical engineer friend is consulting withe me on the proper configuration.

Looks like Sure Electric became aware of my post yesterday and they sent me an e-mail to explain their pricing and to offer to refund the $150 sight visit fee. Nice gesture and very professional. However, I spoke with another electrician yesterday and after I spent 20 minutes explaining the install to him he said he could do it for $900 to $1400 - depending on what he sees when he gets here. Sure Electric quoted $2,800. To be clear, I have another quote for $3,800 and they specified 12 gauge wire for the install!? So Sure Electric is certainly within the range of some of the others. And, again, they are very professional and knowledgeable - I am not saying you should not get a quote from them.

I don't think my install is complicated - just a fair amount of materials needed:
  • New 50amp breaker in panel in the house
  • About 30' of new wire (6 or 8 AWG) from the basement (drop ceiling) to the LB exiting the house
  • About 70' of new wire running from the house to garage through existing 3/4" conduit
  • New sub-panel in garage with 20 amp breaker for garage lights and doors and 30 or 40 amp breaker for car charging
  • New outlet in garage for car
  • 8' ground rod for sub-panel (I think)
I just did a similar install at another house with 75' of cable and the materials cost us about $550. I had an electrical engineer friend guide the labor, so no cost for that. I know copper wire is expensive right now, but...

What really is interesting is how all these licensed electricians have different opinions of what is code. Some say a ground rod is required for the sub panel, others say no. Some say 6 gauge wire will fit in the 3/4" conduit, others say no way. As mentioned above, one specified 12 gauge wire for a 50 amp outlet! (perhaps a typo). Some specified a NEMA 14-50 outlet and others say no more than 14-30. Fortunately my electrical engineer friend is consulting withe me on the proper configuration.
I alerted them to your post. I told them that I highly recommended them and that you called them based on that and your experience was very different from mine as far as pricing etc. They actually told me they were going to offer you a refund of the $150 site inspection. I didn’t want to tell you in case they didn’t follow through. Without going into detail they explained that your install would have been much more complicated then mine. My panel had room and the ability to put in a 50 amp breaker without any issues. They had to run about 40’ of wire or so and drill through my brick from the driveway. After that it was a simple hard wired hookup. I chose hard wired because it’s outside and felt it was safer. I don’t know enough about electrical to understand code and sub panels. I didn’t need anything too crazy. My town permit was $150 and Sure took care of that and setting up the inspection afterwards and it passed without any issue. I just really think based on your current post that yours involved a lot more materials and labor than mine. Everyone has their own experience. Find the best fit for you and your budget. Just make sure it’s safe and don’t try to save money at the expense of safety etc. You can probably call your town and ask what they require as far as code. You can also see what the EVSE you bought says about install. I gave Sure a copy of the the ChargePoint Home Flex install and they followed exactly what it suggested. I’m glad Sure followed up with you and is giving you your $150 back. Now enjoy that car. It’s awesome.

Hey my fellow tesla jersey peeps, looking for someone you may recommend to install a charging station at home for my tesla that's inbound by 08/12. I live in Bergen County, so anyone near these parts would probably be best. If you have pics of the install even better. My neighbor has a Rube Goldberg looking install, as much as I love both my neighbor and Mr. Goldberg, I'd rather have a clean install. thanks in advance.
Did you figure out a good electrician. I am in the same boat live in Northern NJ and wasted time with Sure electric.