Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New "Mandatory" Colorado EV Plates are coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Visited the DMV this week. They are issuing the new plates, but they are Print-on-Demand only. So they gave me a temporary license plate and said the electric vehicle plates will arrive in a few weeks. They look just like the image in the first post. If you decide to do another plate (e.g Broncos, RMN, Adopt-a-Pet, etc), then you are required to use a decal. Not sure what that looks like or why it's required, but I hate decals so I went with the plate.

plate.png

Last edited:
That is ridiculous. We've got a stack of 7 of those stupid decals somewhere. They charged $0.50 each time and it wasn't until the last time that I asked them if we had to have it. The person looked at me and was "No, you don't have to use it nor do you have to buy one" so I as stoked to decline it the next time we register one. Now I see that not only is it a requirement to buy but now it's also a requirement to affix to your vehicle? Then, just to top things off, they jumped the price to $30? What a racquet. For all of those who feared we'd somehow get one over on the government and they wouldn't get their tax money for roads... here's your level playing field. That little number will soon start climbing into the thousands... just you watch.

As for the plate itself, am I reading all of this correctly and it is actually mandatory to have one if you have an EV? As in, if we have Support the Troops plates or Adopt a Shelter Pet plates we can no longer use those the next time our registration is due or if we buy another car? I read something about a decal or something? If so, that's a stupid move on their part. I actually prefer this new EV plate but it means that LOTS of people will no longer pitch in a few extra bucks for a fancy plate. It will also mean the slow demise of the green/white mountain plate that has become so iconic of the state over the decades as the adoption of EVs ramps up.

Just a real head scratcher all the way around, this.

Reactions: CO_MY
I've never been offered such a decal, and we got our first Tesla in 2016. 🤷
I'm surprised you didn't get one at that first registration since they do have them at our Clerk and Recorder's office and the computer flags the decal at the initial registration of the EV.

I got the first for my LEAF when the law was passed to issue them. The second was for my S when first registered in 2016. Michelle didn't know what they were for any more than I did, just that she was supposed to issue them.

Michelle didn't know what they were for any more than I did, just that she was supposed to issue them.
My understanding is, it's so police can know it's an actual electric vehicle when it's parked in an electric vehicle charging spot. Maybe in the Leaf days a cop couldn't tell, but the only time I park in an electric vehicle charging spot is if I'm actively charging my electric vehicle! I consider it an insult to the intelligence of cops to require a sticker for their reference when it's a Tesla, Rivian, or other distinctive vehicle: if it's plugged in and the charger shows electrons flowing, that should be good enough for anyone!

My understanding is, it's so police can know it's an actual electric vehicle when it's parked in an electric vehicle charging spot. Maybe in the Leaf days a cop couldn't tell, but the only time I park in an electric vehicle charging spot is if I'm actively charging my electric vehicle! I consider it an insult to the intelligence of cops to require a sticker for their reference when it's a Tesla, Rivian, or other distinctive vehicle: if it's plugged in and the charger shows electrons flowing, that should be good enough for anyone!
While I agree that a car plugged-in is clearly electric, there are a lot of obscure plug-in cars on the road nowadays. Beyond lesser known models such as IONIQ, I was surprised to see several plug-in Jeeps at the Mountain Village charge station over the last year. It's not just distinctive cars, such as Teslas, anymore!

By the way, the Ouray Chargepoint DCFC station is up and running now, after a year pause in construction. Should attract a lot of non Tesla EVs.

Went to the DMV today - half the cars outside are Teslas... It seems the very people inclined to use the website are forced to go in person lol.
they gave me the decal but didn't say anything about the plates...just handed me a white and green one.
Anyone know where to place it on a Model x? It says top right passenger but the windshield is so big it seems almost useless so high up unless it's got an nfc chip or something for emergency services.

Went to the DMV today - half the cars outside are Teslas... It seems the very people inclined to use the website are forced to go in person lol.
they gave me the decal but didn't say anything about the plates...just handed me a white and green one.
Anyone know where to place it on a Model x? It says top right passenger but the windshield is so big it seems almost useless so high up unless it's got an nfc chip or something for emergency services.
I placed mine in the glovebox paperclipped to the registration lol.

It is just supposed to be visible from the outside of the car. Not that anyone is going to check, as others have said.

Back in the early days, when EVs were rare, I thought it was fun to have the decal identifying my car as a Colorado EV. Now that EVs are so common I don't suppose it matters much. Anyway, almost everyone knows that all Teslas are EVs nowadays. (In the early days I used to get questions about whether my car had an engine or used gas. Some were quite skeptical when I said "no.")

I guess I just like to play it safe...decals on the top right and put plates on the front. I guess If you see the only tesla in Denver with a place in the front- that would be me lol.
After paying the $150 fine twice for not having plates on the front of my Daughters car, we decided to put plates on the front of our Tesla …. so there are at least 2 in the Denver area. I highly recommend the “quick Bandit” mount. Really well made and does not attach permanently to the car.