Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New navigation - major fail or am I missing something

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure I'll get used to the new UI at some point and I realize there's no point in complaining about it, but when it comes to navigation I am very frustrated in that I used to be able to swipe and pinch the screen to whatever view I wanted while navigating and it would stay that way. That usually meant having the car near the bottom and 5-10 miles of my trip up the screen. As the car moved up the screen, I'd scroll it back down, every 15 minutes or so, but I always knew what was happening traffic-wise 10+ miles down the road. With the update, I can still do that when not in navigation mode, but when navigating it constantly decides I need to zoom in and the car should be in the middle of the screen - I guess because seeing traffic well behind me is important? This happens about a minute after I re-swipe and /or re-pinch to get the view I want. I've tried all three display modes and each does more or less the same thing.

Am I missing a setting someplace, or is this just a well thought out new feature?

I have tried all three modes - no difference. I haven't tried + or - to zoom, and I will (thanks for the suggestion), but it's also about positioning the car on the screen where I want it and keeping the map from rotating with curves in the road or pointing "North" - I want the map to remain static with my route essentially from bottom to top.