Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Navigation Supercharger Prediction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I noticed that the navigation has changed the way it displays superchargers' availability.
It previously showed live data when you were driving towards a charger, even when it was several hours away (eg 3/12 stalls available). Now it seems to only show that when you are within about half an hour or a charger - before that point it shows a predicted availability. However, this seems to be totally wrong - eg most of them just show something like "12/12 stalls available on arrival" - together with a graph seeming to indicated that there is no one there at all.

Yesterday I was driving from Carlisle down south, and Keele was my charging stop. All the way down the car said "4 stalls available on arrival" - until I got very close to the site, and it switched to live data which was "<25 minute wait". This is clearly the polar opposite of what it was predicting, and meant that I made a fairly last minute manual switch to Trentham (very nice place to stop by the way!).

So I'm not sure what the point of this update is, but it now means I don't trust the navigation predications and have to double check it on my phone.

Reactions: Roger20
Something else I noticed on the navigation today was a weather warning! I've not seen that before...

1713184736774.png

So I noticed that the navigation has changed the way it displays superchargers' availability.
It previously showed live data when you were driving towards a charger, even when it was several hours away (eg 3/12 stalls available). Now it seems to only show that when you are within about half an hour or a charger - before that point it shows a predicted availability. However, this seems to be totally wrong - eg most of them just show something like "12/12 stalls available on arrival" - together with a graph seeming to indicated that there is no one there at all.

Yesterday I was driving from Carlisle down south, and Keele was my charging stop. All the way down the car said "4 stalls available on arrival" - until I got very close to the site, and it switched to live data which was "<25 minute wait". This is clearly the polar opposite of what it was predicting, and meant that I made a fairly last minute manual switch to Trentham (very nice place to stop by the way!).

So I'm not sure what the point of this update is, but it now means I don't trust the navigation predications and have to double check it on my phone.
i would doubt.
from what I see, it looks like they update data every 5 or so minutes.

>25 minute wait certainly sounds as if a lot of people pulled in at the same time.

>25 minute wait certainly sounds as if a lot of people pulled in at the same time.
For the sake of correctness, the op said '<25'. Still seems like a long wait though and much more than I've ever experienced (thus far).

On a long trip a couple of weeks back (during half-term) I twice had to wait for around 5 min's for an available SC. On both occasions it became quite fraught as Tesla's continued to turn up and you were hoping we were all noting who was next. There were no issues as it happens but I am surprised there is no filter built in to the approach to purpose built Charger bays, or a ticket system, or ......?

Reactions: adsheff and thax1

Having used both Keel and Trentham for the first time recently, I've added Keel to my 'avoid' list. Trentham with masses of V2 chargers, nice environment, proper food, beats out Keel on almost everything other than 'closeness to the motorway'.

what would you doubt?
i would doubt it is live data. they update it every few minutes

easiest way to see is - arrive at SC, charge and count number of cars there upon you leave.

for example - 8 chargers at location 4 cars charging and you are #5 who is leaving (finished charging). you will notice that even 1-2 minutes after you left it will still show as only 3 chargers available...