Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New update or something wrong with my car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed the last few times I've driven (still rare) it's taken longer for the screen to turn on then it use to. It use to be that as soon as I opened the door the screen would come on and music would start playing. But recently it seems to be in some sort of deep sleep state where it takes 15-20 seconds for the screen to come on and the music usually has to be restarted manually because it reports "no connectivity". It's like everything is booting up cold. I also forgot to plug in the car the last time I drove it, which was about a week ago, and the vampire drain was almost nothing. Like 2% in 6 days. So maybe because I'm home, and sentry mode is off via the GPS setting, it's able to go into a deeper sleep state then it use to when I was driving every day?

I've noticed the last few times I've driven (still rare) it's taken longer for the screen to turn on then it use to. It use to be that as soon as I opened the door the screen would come on and music would start playing. But recently it seems to be in some sort of deep sleep state where it takes 15-20 seconds for the screen to come on and the music usually has to be restarted manually because it reports "no connectivity". It's like everything is booting up cold. I also forgot to plug in the car the last time I drove it, which was about a week ago, and the vampire drain was almost nothing. Like 2% in 6 days. So maybe because I'm home, and sentry mode is off via the GPS setting, it's able to go into a deeper sleep state then it use to when I was driving every day?
Mine sometimes takes a few seconds for the screen to come on. Try running the Tesla App on your way to the car. Should be completely awake by the time you get to the car.

Same thing just happened to me in the last week or so. The first time the car was dead silent for a minute or so then turned on. I checked my app and there were dashes instead of the miles remaining then a number once the car started. A couple times my door wouldn't open for a minute or longer as well.

This became an issue for me when they "improved" the Bluetooth between the car and phone like two months ago.

What settings should I look at?
Look for "Energy Saving" button and the "always connected" checkbox to see if you have them. Actually you might be unknowingly happy about the slow wake up because it likely means your car is in its deepest sleep mode and saving energy. If you see the above options in your car settings and they are on, your car will be more responsive yet waste more energy.

Look for "Energy Saving" button and the "always connected" checkbox to see if you have them. Actually you might be unknowingly happy about the slow wake up because it likely means your car is in its deepest sleep mode and saving energy. If you see the above options in your car settings and they are on, your car will be more responsive yet waste more energy.

My car is plugged in most of the time anyway, so I don't really care about energy savings. At least not the tiny bit I'd get from a setting like that. I'd rather have it wake up quickly and for the key to work more reliably.

• Disagree
Reactions: smatthew

I can’t find those options anywhere. Based on a quick Google they're only on the S & X, not the 3. Did you not realize we were in the 3 forum?

I can’t find those options anywhere. Based on a quick Google they're only on the S & X, not the 3. Did you not realize we were in the 3 forum?
yes, I realize we are in the 3 forum. That's why I said "IF YOU HAVE THEM". :) I guess you just confirmed those options are not in the 3. Thus, I wonder if the car is staying always connected whether you want it or not. Or perhaps they are now managing it better? Inquiring minds want to know :D

Did you not realize he obviously doesn't have a "3" and was only trying to be helpful?

No I didn’t. We're in the 3 forum, so I assumed he was talking about 3 options. Seems like a reasonable assumption.

Also I wasn’t trying to be mean, I was genuinely wondering if maybe he landed here in via search and didn’t realize it was the 3 forum. I've done it in the other direction myself.

Our Model 3 has had audio related and screen responsiveness issues over the last week or so - likely since the previous update. The audio was stop/starting, and sometimes clicking (I'm guessing a software function was repeatedly resetting/restarting). Impacted sound-related functions included radio, music, phone, >warning< and indicators. The problem was steadily getting worse making the radio/music functions unusable. Most disconcerting was the lack of audible warning sounds (e.g. emergency hazard detection, reversing sounds).
I telephoned Tesla Australia Thursday morning and they advised it was a known problem impacting some vehicles. They hadn't established the cause, nor the solution as yet. I was driving at the time and later that day a tech was due to remotely check our vehicle when it was parked. I drove home and the problem seemed to be fixed for much of the 1 hour journey, but then returned; and the problem was still evident Friday and this morning. A Thursday text from Tesla said:
>>> "TESLA - Hello, I have been investigating your audio concern and found that this is a known characteristic of the current firmware. Engineering has carried out an investigation and confirmed this concern will be resolved in firmware 2020.20. Customer to update to 2020.20 when it becomes available."
Firmware 2020.20 upgrade appeared this morning and has been updated on our vehicle. Problem now seems to be fixed.

• Informative
Reactions: hellocar
Our Model 3 has had audio related and screen responsiveness issues over the last week or so - likely since the previous update. The audio was stop/starting, and sometimes clicking (I'm guessing a software function was repeatedly resetting/restarting). Impacted sound-related functions included radio, music, phone, >warning< and indicators. The problem was steadily getting worse making the radio/music functions unusable. Most disconcerting was the lack of audible warning sounds (e.g. emergency hazard detection, reversing sounds).

I had semi-similar audio issues with the last update. All auto would cut out (Turn Signals, Radio, BT).. Reboot always fixed it. I created a mobile service ticket, they referred me to the service center for next week (Which I canceled, too much hassle, and I am hoping it's software. I'll bring it next month if it doesn't clear up).

Downloaded the update last night, Hopefully that will fix it.