Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie UK questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Nissan Leaf 2.0 and awaiting arrival of a Model 3 sometime in the next 6 weeks.
I am on Economy 7 electricity (cheaper rate for 7 hours at night)
I do not have solar PV - an estimated system would generate 3384 Kwh per year with a 4Kw system
I used 10,537Kwh in a year.

could I use the powerwall 2 to charge from the grid on the lower night time rate and then use that during the day?
Would I be able to charge the Powerwall 2 from 0-90% in the 7 hour period?

I am using on average 28Kwh a day so 13Kw Powerwall would help

Solar with or without a PW makes no financial sense so if that is your only /main reason you are going to be disappointed.
A PW can charge in under 4 hours.
My advice would be a cheap and GREEN tariff such as Octopus Go (4 hours @5p, rest at 14p). Charge both cars off peak. Use delay timers on washing machines etc.
If you highly value having your house on a big UPS, love gadgets, have spare money doing nothing, and don't intend to move house in the next 15 years, then go for it!

The Leaf is about 8000 miles per year as will the Model 3
Can only get Economy 7 in Northern Ireland - none of other Octopus type deals are available. so 7 hrs nighttime at £0.8p vs £0.16p daytime.
So could use a PW2 charge in 4hrs at £0.08p to discharge 13Kw during the day?
13 * £0.08p * 365 = £380 a year.
won't move house but £7k for a PW is - as you say - a vanity project in truth.
Will look to find a green supplier in Northern Ireland

yes
at £380 a year savings then it would be mental to buy a PW2 for £8k with a 10 yr warranty.
Think I will stick to the economy 7 for now.
the public charging network on the island of Ireland is free at the minute - hopefully they start charging later this year. I say hopefully because it will stop the freeloaders and leave the network free for those who need it. Nothing worse that pulling up to a charge point and some local has driven 5 miles to charge their car because it is free