Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all

Have been running a solar edge 15kw system in Australia for about 5 years and my buy backs have demished to nothing so I decided to find a battery

Have picked up a power wall 2 today locally off market place , it just came as the power wall 2 unit only . No gate way

My question is, do I require the gateway to use this unit with my solar edge system ?

Also is there anyway I can test the Powerwall before I buy a gateway ? I hooked the AC up on the unit to 240v AC to test it , but am not getting any power one ? Is this also why the gateway is required ? To power the unit on ?

Attachments

• 20240411_152823.jpg
    20240411_152823.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 9
Yeh this was a worry we had, I don't have to pay for it till I can confirm it running . It sat unused for 1.5 years

So without the gateway 2 , I have no way of testing the Unit it's self ? I thought hooking the AC mains to it , and powering on the power switch would at least show some sign of life ?

Thanks heaps for the quick reply

There is not any feedback for the PWs provided from the units themselves. The communication wires to the gateway relate all the PW status.

I suppose it is possible to get the green glow if you hook it up and power it on, but I've never done that so can't say for sure.

There is not any feedback for the PWs provided from the units themselves. The communication wires to the gateway relate all the PW status.

I suppose it is possible to get the green glow if you hook it up and power it on, but I've never done that so can't say for sure.
Yeah I tried this , I hooked 240 V AC to the PW 2 , active to L1 , neutral to l2 and earth to ground pin . Powered up switch but did not get green glow.

After reading your posts I presume the gateway tells the unit to also turn on.

I'll see.if I can borrow one to test unit before I purchase a gateway for it

Yeah I tried this , I hooked 240 V AC to the PW 2 , active to L1 , neutral to l2 and earth to ground pin . Powered up switch but did not get green glow.

I think but am not sure that if you leave it connected to 240v, it will eventually trickle charge itself from line voltage if it is still alive. I am not sure of this or how long it would take, but I have seen this trickle charge behavior when the breaker is connected but the switch is off.

I think but am not sure that if you leave it connected to 240v, it will eventually trickle charge itself from line voltage if it is still alive. I am not sure of this or how long it would take, but I have seen this trickle charge behavior when the breaker is connected but the switch is off.
I'm not even sure if it has charge in or not unfortunately 😞 I just thought by applying AC to it , it would at least turn on

I called a few places today tho , and as above , explained the gateway is practically the brains for the whole unit. It actually tells it to turn on etc

So it seems there's no way of me testing this unit without buying a gateway also

• Informative
Reactions: Matt-FL

It may not be that easy. You will need to commission the gateway before it will start charging the battery. It needs to talk to Tesla's servers for that.