Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not Re-Centering and Heavy Steering Wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I thought my 2014 was doing great apart from some recent supercharging issues but brought it in and had a rental, now I realize there are a number of issues!

Issue 1: Steering wheel does not re-center after turning, I have to manually turn it back after a turn to get it to go straight again.

Issue 2: Steering wheel is pretty heavy, it feels like it is on the sport/standard heaviness setting even though I have it set to comfort.

The actual turning of the steering wheel is pretty smooth, it doesn't feel like it is clicking much.

Do you think this is related to the U-Joint? I read that some people have somewhat similar symptoms with a worn or bad u-joint.

Thanks!

Hi All,

I thought my 2014 was doing great apart from some recent supercharging issues but brought it in and had a rental, now I realize there are a number of issues!

Issue 1: Steering wheel does not re-center after turning, I have to manually turn it back after a turn to get it to go straight again.

Issue 2: Steering wheel is pretty heavy, it feels like it is on the sport/standard heaviness setting even though I have it set to comfort.

The actual turning of the steering wheel is pretty smooth, it doesn't feel like it is clicking much.

Do you think this is related to the U-Joint? I read that some people have somewhat similar symptoms with a worn or bad u-joint.

Thanks!
Unless the rental was also a 9 year old 2014 I would suspect there have been many improvements over that time frame from your car.