Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering noise and sticking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My steering is making a lot of noise when I turn the wheel. My local garage says it needs a new steering column. The steering is also sticking, which I think is the U joint. How easy is this to fix and does anyone have an approximate cost?

I was thinking of getting a second hand column, but my local garage says it has to be coded.

My steering is making a lot of noise when I turn the wheel. My local garage says it needs a new steering column. The steering is also sticking, which I think is the U joint. How easy is this to fix and does anyone have an approximate cost?

I was thinking of getting a second hand column, but my local garage says it has to be coded.
Has anyone tried lubricating the UJ?

Has anyone tried lubricating the UJ?
Yes I have, I haven an P85D which has the old style open UJ. It started stickin two years ago, have been lurbicating it always before winter and usually second time after few months. It works fine even in -30C.
But Iäm going to upgrade it to the nwer closed revision later this year, I have done this to my last model s and ti was very good after that.

Reactions: David Harvey