Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now it doesn`t like my 3 phase charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At work I have a Rolec 22kw 3 phase charger. Charged it about 4 times now no problems. I get 3 x 16amp and charge at 44 m/ph

Yesterday I plugged it in and tried everything under the sun, regarding turning things off and on etc etc

But all I get is voltage too high and it goes from flashing green on the car to red within 20 secs. The amps never register and the voltage just goes up and down to about 250ish

Took the car home and with the 3 pin no problem

The only thing I have thought is the car had 185 miles in it, so only needed a 2 hour top up on the 3 phase

Were your previous successful charges before lockdown when your workplace was ‘working’ ?

it’s quite possible that the normal load generated by your workplace is sufficient to drag down the local voltage to within the ‘acceptable’ range.

Without that load, and possibly on a sunny day with lots of local PV production, the voltage has climbed above the maximum that the onboard electronics in your car will accept.

Maybe try when it’s not sunny or if you can, switch on a big electricity load within your workplace before you start to charge. If it’s marginal, the power pulled by your car once it’s started charging may be enough to then keep the voltage within limits.

Were your previous successful charges before lockdown when your workplace was ‘working’ ?

it’s quite possible that the normal load generated by your workplace is sufficient to drag down the local voltage to within the ‘acceptable’ range.

Without that load, and possibly on a sunny day with lots of local PV production, the voltage has climbed above the maximum that the onboard electronics in your car will accept.

Maybe try when it’s not sunny or if you can, switch on a big electricity load within your workplace before you start to charge. If it’s marginal, the power pulled by your car once it’s started charging may be enough to then keep the voltage within limits.

friends Rolec 7kw charger works fine on my car with my lead. Will try again Monday at work like you say I’ll fire up the compressor at the same time

Reactions: Roy W.
I think you need to try a third party 3 phase charger, ie 11kW. Tesla destination chargers often are and added benefit is that it is all Tesla kit and bypassing your type 2. That will point the finger at either the car or the charger/your type 2 cable. I wonder if there is a 3 phase issue causing 400v or so? @arg?

Last edited:
As above - you need to "elimiate" each piece of the puzzle first.....

Try a different cable if you can
Try another 3 phased charger if you can
Get someone else to use the work place charger and see if they have issues.

Without all the information - Tesla will just say it's a faulty charger. I had to eliminate lots of things before I could prove it was the car that was my issue (DC charging was fine, AC charging was the issue) - subsequently fixed by Tesla.