Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Now that I have PPF, I …

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By far the best thing I did was to get PPF installed, 5.5 months of ownership and 7700 miles driven, not a paint chip or scratch. It’s a must. Only did the whole front and rocker panels plus mirrors and the back area where the luggage would hit.

Just like new:
10CA4262-89D9-4087-9ACF-5D588639AB5B.jpeg

By far the best thing I did was to get PPF installed, 5.5 months of ownership and 7700 miles driven, not a paint chip or scratch. It’s a must. Only did the whole front and rocker panels plus mirrors and the back area where the luggage would hit.

Just like new:
View attachment 453720

Glad to hear that! Curious, what was your biggest concern when shopping around to get PPF installed? The coverage you went with is the most popular in the market, it's very common for Tesla owners to do full vehicle but in the grand scheme full front ends are still the most popular.

Full PPF coverage for a model 3 in southern cal is 7,000.00 thats way over the top considering the whole top is made out of glass, I’ve have had no damage to the rest of the car so the front end and rocker panels is the best area protection from incoming rocks and other debris during normal driving. Mainly looked for a shop that worked on high end vehicles and Auto Armour fit that bill, out of San Diego Ca. Mira Mar area.

Fred

Reactions: SunTek
PPF has changed my automotive ownership experience in the most positive ways over the course of the last 15 years. I've owned a vast variety of vehicles and the Model 3 is no different. In fact, with such soft and fragile paint it's even more crucial to have it protected from road debris especially when driving in road rallies at highway speeds.

It's so nice to have fresh new paint for YEARS without worrying about chips and damage and keeping the headlights immaculate as well.
No more beat up bumpers, headlights, rocker panels, mirrors. 10 year warranty to boot as well! When the windshield gets pitted and shitty.... replace. In FL we have great coverage for replacement windshields with no negative effects on insurance.

Recently got my entire car stealth PPF covered. It's a strange feeling when washing the car but its like a softer teflon where things just don't stick to it and I think it's a nice subtle look to the car. I kept the badges off of it post-wrap. I will say results vary significantly by installer. I went to a highly rated installer who was also highly regarded by my detailer...however...mistakes were made which need to be corrected that will take time (both his and mine) and cost for replacement materials on him and potentially a car repair. I'd do it again in the future to another car.

Screen Shot 2019-09-14 at 5.17.53 PM.png
9-9-2019 Model 3 Performance 5.jpg
925A83C2-C17F-4F1E-AE5A-71EBB0142C97.jpg

Attachments

• 6A0F54FE-8B15-417D-9B8D-F8208BE3025A.jpg
    6A0F54FE-8B15-417D-9B8D-F8208BE3025A.jpg
    579.7 KB · Views: 57
PPF has changed my automotive ownership experience in the most positive ways over the course of the last 15 years. I've owned a vast variety of vehicles and the Model 3 is no different. In fact, with such soft and fragile paint it's even more crucial to have it protected from road debris especially when driving in road rallies at highway speeds.

It's so nice to have fresh new paint for YEARS without worrying about chips and damage and keeping the headlights immaculate as well.
No more beat up bumpers, headlights, rocker panels, mirrors. 10 year warranty to boot as well! When the windshield gets pitted and shitty.... replace. In FL we have great coverage for replacement windshields with no negative effects on insurance.

Protecting the headlights I think gets lost a lot, I've seen several situations where headlights that were already beginning to yellow were brought back to life with PPF (and stayed that way for years).

Recently got my entire car stealth PPF covered. It's a strange feeling when washing the car but its like a softer teflon where things just don't stick to it and I think it's a nice subtle look to the car. I kept the badges off of it post-wrap. I will say results vary significantly by installer. I went to a highly rated installer who was also highly regarded by my detailer...however...mistakes were made which need to be corrected that will take time (both his and mine) and cost for replacement materials on him and potentially a car repair. I'd do it again in the future to another car.

View attachment 454925 View attachment 454923 View attachment 454924

I know what you mean on the texture, Matte PPF has a very distinct feel to it. Your car looks great, I like the no-badge look - very slick!

Reactions: gcmak
I owned a used 2002 Acura RSX-S and it had rock splatter on the front bumper and it always bothered me, but there wasn't much I could do about it. I ended up getting a brand new 2005 Acura RSX-S and hadn't thought much of the rock chips because it was a brand new car. After nearly 3 years of ownership, the 2005 looked almost as bad as the 2002. When I purchased my 2008 STi, I drove it straight to an installer and had a partial clear PPF installed. Best decision I ever made. I never had a single problem with rock chips, the paint always looked great, but I shorted myself when I got the partial.

Now I have a 2019 M3 and did the full front, rockers, trunk lip, mirrors, headlights... won't ever do it any other way. You can't even tell there's film on the car and the bug splatter comes right off.

I like the peace of mind. The film is a small investment for a vehicle I plan on keeping for a long time. I can't see any of the edges. I won't have to worry about scratches when accessing the frunk and I know the headlights will still shine like new 5-10 years from now.

Reactions: AusDetail
I owned a used 2002 Acura RSX-S and it had rock splatter on the front bumper and it always bothered me, but there wasn't much I could do about it. I ended up getting a brand new 2005 Acura RSX-S and hadn't thought much of the rock chips because it was a brand new car. After nearly 3 years of ownership, the 2005 looked almost as bad as the 2002. When I purchased my 2008 STi, I drove it straight to an installer and had a partial clear PPF installed. Best decision I ever made. I never had a single problem with rock chips, the paint always looked great, but I shorted myself when I got the partial.

Now I have a 2019 M3 and did the full front, rockers, trunk lip, mirrors, headlights... won't ever do it any other way. You can't even tell there's film on the car and the bug splatter comes right off.

I like the peace of mind. The film is a small investment for a vehicle I plan on keeping for a long time. I can't see any of the edges. I won't have to worry about scratches when accessing the frunk and I know the headlights will still shine like new 5-10 years from now.

I like hearing the feedback about the ease of bug removal, that's another thing I feel like get's forgotten about is how much easier bugs can be to remove from PPF than paint (if removed in a timely manner). What do you use to clean your PPF out of curiosity?

i've always been told to clean and wax it as you would the rest of the paint. my installer used to swear by Plexus but seems to have backed away from that. i've never used anything on the film that i wouldn't directly use on the paint.

SunTek: what is your recommendation on paint cure time before installing PPF? My car rolled off the line 9/9 and my PPF appointment is 9/22, so two weeks difference. If it rolled off the line 9/9 I’m assuming the body was painted roughly a week prior (might be wrong, who knows).

Should I delay my install appt? Thanks!

Does the PPF protect against the standard door dings/shopping cart dings or just paint damage? Just had my car in to PDR for door dings and front quarter panel wheel arch door crease damage.

Ski
It can help with some impacts just because it is an ~8mil thick piece of urethane but that isn't its intended purpose. Also depending on the dent, PDR may remove the PPF to repair but I have sent dents pulled successfully through PPF.

SunTek: what is your recommendation on paint cure time before installing PPF? My car rolled off the line 9/9 and my PPF appointment is 9/22, so two weeks difference. If it rolled off the line 9/9 I’m assuming the body was painted roughly a week prior (might be wrong, who knows).

Should I delay my install appt? Thanks!
Great question, by rolled off the line I am assuming this is factory paint? If so you should be good for the installation, if this were a local body shop I would suggest waiting 30 days to let the paint cure. We do not warranty on aftermarket paint but some car owners are willing to take the risk, in that instance if you install too soon the paint can still outgas and you'll see bubbles in your PPF.

But if you're talking factory paint, I would believe you to be fine!